New pen from my first casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wce274

Wce274

Just got into casting my own pen blanks Kenv sent me some worthless wood that I made a hybrid pen blank out of and turned it last night I used AL resin and I think I did pretty good for my first try
bf8d1ec8850d59ebca65904b5e48094b.jpg
c84291f56e8f0fd662b1e0ab119e33e1.jpg
cb376da3d2c6ab466a08b6023d0a1a42.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mfarr79

Man, that looks great! I'm pretty ignorant and still new. I'm slowly working on my skills thanks to the generosity of Mr KenV also. What is meant exactly by "worthless wood" and how does it fit into the picture?

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Worthless wood is a term used for wood that is no good for pen making as it is. However, when cast with resin to fill in the voids, it becomes a worthy finished project. turning junk into gold as this pen shows. Nice job on the pen.

Last edited:

Wce274

I see. So, the resin essentially serves to stabilize the wood? Kind of like what cactus juice does?

The resin does not stabilize the wood just simply fills in the voids with resin and in Turn makes a nice pen blank casting is is to basically fill voids and stabilization is to make the wood hard and easier to turn and not break apart like you may have a soft piece of rotten wood you could dry it out and stabilize it and it would not be so brittle hope this helps

Wce274

Would you like to share what you used to color your resin and any tips on how you achieved the nice swirls in the small areas?

I used alumilite clear with alumilite blue and some fine silver glitter and I just poured it in mixing it as I went didn't do anything special at all would pour a little more heavy in places alternating the resin colors hope that helps I use the slow 12 min working time so you have time to go slow and get a good mix

Top Bottom