New Pen That I Made - First Post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from techwhiz

techwhiz

Here is a picture of my very first pen.

It's sterling silver cap is 14mm and the lower tube is 11mm.
The overall length is 6" closed.

The pen weighs in at a hefty 108 grams.
The top of the cap and bottom of the body were cast in 14K gold from scrap with a hand made mold.

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 381
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Not a bad effort for a first pen....ok....it's a great effort. A very nice pen. Did you cast the clip yourself as well?

I'm glad you found a use for your scrap gold. I really hate it when scrap gold starts piling up in my shop. I've tried using it as mulch in my garden, but people kept stealing it. I'm running out of drawers to stuff it in. Maybe I'll have to try casting.:biggrin:

Ed

techwhiz

Not a bad effort for a first pen....ok....it's a great effort. A very nice pen. Did you cast the clip yourself as well?

I'm glad you found a use for your scrap gold. I really hate it when scrap gold starts piling up in my shop. I've tried using it as mulch in my garden, but people kept stealing it. I'm running out of drawers to stuff it in. Maybe I'll have to try casting.:biggrin:

Ed

Funny.... :cool: It's about 6 grams of gold from an old broken clasp, some small chains, etc. Mostly stuff that would be not enough to pay attention to. I was going to use brass, but thought about some gold scrap I had.

The clip and some other parts were done by -> Silver Pen Parts.
They do excellent custom work, that although I would like to take credit for, I can't. Take a look at the work. You definitely get what you pay for here. I spec'd it and they cast it.

Necking the tubes and cutting the ridge in the cap, making the molds for casting the gold, the design and assembly of the pen I can take credit for.

The tubes come from a company in the UK that specializes in silver tube and bar. The tubes are "hard" and seamless. It literally took a year to find a company that makes tubes like this. You cannot, or maybe you can, imagine how specialized precious metal tubing is.

I love the weight and I made it because even Yard-O-lead pens weigh 40 grams less. It's well balanced and if you put your finger where the cap screws on to the body (closed) the pen will sit level. Also the cap posts by screwing it on the back of the body.

Going to make another slightly different. Not a cheap pen....
I'm making them for me since I couldn't find a pen like this. I had a Waterford Tower of Glendalough pen that was 1 of 500 and I no longer have it, but wanted a replacement. A replacement couldn't be had unless I made it.
So I put my limited knowledge of casting, jewelry, etc to use.

This stuff is addictive......

techwhiz

You CAN quit your day job! :biggrin:

I wish. Not enough demand for a pen like this or the one I'm now working on.
Maybe there is the demand, but then there is the desire to pay what it's worth me to make. I design computer chips for a living, so the day job is also kind of fun.

I going to put pen #1 in a display case at home. Currently it's my carry pen. Pen #2 that I'm working on now will be my carry pen starting next week.

Top Bottom