New Pen Design with M3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timcbs

timcbs

Hi All,

Here is my new design pen I call "The Patriot" because it is Kit and Clip Free, the Size is .620 and is 5" 5/8 Capped, 5" 1/2 uncapped , the pen weigh is 50 Grams, the blank is made for M3 Metal Composite, this was my first time using this material and it turned very nicely.

All comments are welcome.

Attachments

• M3-1.jpg
    M3-1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 405
  • M3-2.jpg
    M3-2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 455
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Nice job on that!! The only suggestion I can offer is that you could have made both ends rounded. As it is the bottom of the pen looks more pointed then the top of the cap. I personally like the rounded top of the cap. I have 8 pieces of M3, just been waiting for the courage to try something with it. I hope what ever I do comes out as nice as yours.

chriselle

Tim, I love this pen. It looks very Nakaya-ish. Simple, classy,..elegant. I too, would rather have the body end match the cap end profile but damn fine as is. Definitely envious of the thread work.:mad::wink:

wizard

Beautiful pen !! Is that the Mokume gane M3? I have a metal lathe and would
learn to do my own thread work. Do you know of any tutorials, videos.. that I culd learn from? Your pen is gorgeous and very elegant. Great job!!

animefan

Awesome looking pen although I think it would look better if both ends matched. Does anyone know the formula to do triple lead threads?

JBCustomPens

I've always been curious about those blanks, are they just a powdered metal cast in resin?

I don't really know, but they are solid metal.

Create stunning custom pens with these real metal (M3) pen blanks. These blanks are made with up to 95% of the real metal that has been atomized down to the molecular level and combined with special chemical binders to form a new composite material called M3 (short for "MacroMolecular Metal").

That is from the makers website. I think that they alter the metal in some way. Someone else will have to chime in.

cnirenberg

Tim,
Fantastic looking pen. I love those threads. I haven't had the time to learn the threading aspect of the minilathe, I'm still messing with the tap and dies for threaded things (single start though).

65GTMustang

AWESOME!!!
I have turned allot of M3 material - Pens and Bottle Stoppers
Super sharp tools and speed will have this material throwing ribbons of shavings!
Love the threads - that completely makes it unique - I have to stay with kits - have not learned to step out any further then simple closed end pieces.
NICE JOB

seamus7227

wow, great job!! I too am interested in learning the whole threading thing, is that a special tap and die set to get the triple thread? and if so, how much?

timcbs

Hi Seamus,

I cut all of the threads on my Metal Lathe, I do have a custom made Tap and Die that cost around 400.00 for the set, I only use the Tap or Die if I need to clean up the threads a bit.

MHKogan

Tim,
Are you OK if I copy this photo and post it on our website www.MetalPenBlanks.com? If so I will give you a credit and a link to your sales or informational website if you have one.

Your work is beautiful and it really shows off some of the core strengths of our material such as the ability to triple thread.

Thank you for posting it here on he forum. I should also mention that M3 Metal blanks are also available in stock sizes at RandBCrafts.com, Penn State and Craft Supplies USA. You can order other shapes and sizes at MetalPenBlanks.com.

Thank you,
Michael Kogan
M3 Composite Industries
(888) 478-6745

MartinPens

Tim,
That is one fine pen. That is the direction I would like to take from where I'm at. I may PM you and pick your brain a little. I have a lot to learn. I would sure like to get away from the kits. Thanks for sharing and I like the matching ends too. Hope to see more pens of this type. I may need to shell out some money and get one.

Martin

Top Bottom