New Pen Added to knifecut album

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from knifecut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

that Bethlehem Olive Wood is really gorgeous stuff.
I have it on my list to get. I want to make some perfume pens out of it. But I need to get my other projects competed first. i have a box with about 25 pens in it that are in some degree started but not completed and I havn't been able even look in it for about three weeks.

knifecut

Added two more pics. A coolibah Burl and a Red Mallee Burl. Both Am. classic twist pens using the Rose Gold pen kits.

Sure am glad when I started pen turning I started with Cigar pens. These Am. Classics all want the twist mech. to bind. Takes some time to work the inside of the pen tube to get proper clearance. Once that's done I've had no other problems. If I'd started with these, I probably would have become discouraged.

knifecut

Changed the pictures. The originals didn't do pens justice (took indoor photo under poor light) so I replaced them with photos taken ouside this AM.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
A common problem with the Ameroclassic pen, and similar kits, is that of the wood on the bottom barrel binding inside the cap ring. If the wood is larger than the collar at the top of the lower barrel, or have any eccentricity with it, there will be the possibility that the cap will be too tight to turn easily.

I always cut a relief about 1/16" long and down to the bushing diameter at the top end of the lower barrel. That allows me to make the lower barrel a larger diameter without binding inside the cap.

knifecut

That was my first thought, but when I returned the bottom parrel to make that portion smaller, it didn't help. The twist mechinism worked fine until I pressed on the center ring, which caused the brass tube to narrow just enough to bind the tm.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Yes, it is a close fit and either compression of the tube by the cap or a small burr around the end of the tube from trimming will bind the mechanism. A few strokes with a file will solve these problems. I use 7/32" saw chain file for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom