New Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bobaltig

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobaltig

I finally got around to trying some simple bands on a pen using fine crushed turquoise. The top blank is deer antler and the bottom is african blackwood. I used up an oddball 24 kt. slimline kit I'd had for a while that was missing the centerband.

Any constructive commentary would be appreciated.

http://tinyurl.com/s8qwd

Bob Altig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Confession time, Bob. I was prepared not to like your pen before I clicked the link. I am not fond of large inlays of stones/powders. I like this one! Consider making another with the two lines of turquoise both on the "centerband" of blackwood. If you don't like it, I'll pay the postage to send it to me!! [;)]

bobaltig

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. Cav, it's odd you would make mention of a second inlay on the centerband. The glue is drying right now on the tube I put in the antler last night so I could do just what you suggested. However, this one won't be a slimline, but a Euro, and if I feel really adventurous, I'll make the top finial out of blackwood with a small dot of turquoise on the top of it, ala Mont Blanc. I've always thought that star would have been much cleaner looking if it were round instead of pointed. We shall see.

It will be a while before I get it done, as I'm finishing up the last 28 of the 100 Freedom Project pens I've set as a personal goal for myself this year.

bobaltig

gerryr

That's a very nice looking pen. My only comment is about the clip and I've had the same problem. When you make the upper barrel of a SL fatter and then use the SL clip, the clip can look bent and distorted and in some cases it becomes useless because it rides on the barrel. This is something I've struggled with when making modified SLs and have found I have to be very careful about not having upper barrel to thick. I have found that the clips on the "comfort" pens work somewhat better for this than the standard SL clip.

bobaltig

I agree about the clip Gerry. It looks odd, but it's what I had on hand and I was anxious to get this done. Thanks for the tip about the comfort pen clip. I've never made a comfort pen, but I'll get a kit and try it out.

I was going to try one of Bill Jackman's recessed clips, but your idea sounds much simpler.

bobaltig

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />That's a very nice looking pen. My only comment is about the clip and I've had the same problem. When you make the upper barrel of a SL fatter and then use the SL clip, the clip can look bent and distorted and in some cases it becomes useless because it rides on the barrel. This is something I've struggled with when making modified SLs and have found I have to be very careful about not having upper barrel to thick. I have found that the clips on the "comfort" pens work somewhat better for this than the standard SL clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom