A new look for a new year

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is one of my custom finial operated pens made from Padauk and curly maple and brass with a poly finish . It is a window type blank turned to very close tolerances with the curly maple showing through a window in the padauk . The outer padauk shell is less then 1/32" thick and curly maple inner shell is less then 1/32" thick over a 3/8" aluminum core . It uses a cigar transmission pressed into the aluminum core and the nib is threaded into the core so you can replace the parker refill . I've been using this pen at work for a couple of weeks to see how it holds up and so far so good .

1_telestowindow1.jpg

1_telestowindow2.jpg

1_telestofinial.jpg

Shameless plug :bananen_smilies068:
I'm still running the Kitless Challenge in the Advanced pen turning forum , Please go check it out and maybe even contribute your own example of a kitless slimline .

Comments as always , are welcome

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angelofdeath

Butch,

that is one cool looking pen... I really like the way you put the woods on top of one another and used the window to show the maple. very well done. thank you for sharing

workinforwood

Butch...I'm not going to tell you I love the wood combo, but I do like the brass, especially the clip portion. I'm curious about the clip. Is the clip and brass final area all one piece? I like your craftiness.

ldb2000

Thanks everyone for the kind words . I guess that this design isn't as great as I thought , 390 views but only 6 posts :eek:, well go figure , I like it anyway :biggrin:
Jeff , the clip and finial is along the lines of the ultra modded cigar I did , the clip is drilled to 3/8" as is the finial ring and then just pressed and glued to the aluminum core tube . Real simple solution to the clip problem that works real nice .
I want to thank Rick Herrell for the inspiration for the design , looking at his window casing pen on the front page made me think , since I'm not constrained by a fixed size kit I can make the thickness of the walls of the blank any size I wanted so this design is possible .
Turning the outer shell was a real ball , actual wall thickness is just .040" which seems like allot but turning that thin on a jam chuck was a experience in terror , I kept waiting for the shell to explode but I had no problems , I love my Tiger2000 sharpening system .

leehljp

Member Liaison
Two or three years ago, Tom McMillan did some pens with the wood outer wall of BOW or holly and inner part with bloodwood that were magnificent. He had one with a spiral hand carved in holly revealing bloodwood below. And one with the BOW (I think) etched (carved) into a cross, revealing the bloodwood below. With the change over of forum software in August, the links to the picts were lost.

I did see a couple of his pens on the PenMakers Guild website Here:
http://penmakersguild.com/browse.php (go about half way down the page on the right side and see his spiral.)

Another two with hearts showing here:
http://penmakersguild.com/gallery.php?gallery=mcmillant&page=16

You have learned the technique by yourself and it was your own idea. Don't let go of it and keep on making them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom