New Lathe and My New Work Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MIKL

MIKL

well about 4 maybe 5 weeks ago i let the smoke out of the motor on my Lathe, try as i might there was no way i could get it back in
frown.gif
frown.gif

i was planning to start stashing away some pennies to save for the new beast, but alas the old one died all tooo soon, there was a fair bit of debating what to do which way to go

what the heck DO IT!!! so i have added a Vicmarc VL150 SM to the man cave, it arrived last night and YEP out of the box onto the bench and my new pen

this lathe is amazing, i hit the go switch and there is next to no noise but the spindle is spinning, it has electronic variable speed - GREAT INVENTION, and it even has an extra gear - REVERSE
2thumbsup.gif
, i am very happy with the decision

the day the old one died, i had a blank in the pressure pot casting, so i have wait 4-5 weeks to turn this new pen, i looked at the blank every night, showed it off to many people as my new pen - got some dumb looks, where is the ink was the common response, a bit hard to hold was another

Well last night was the night

Ultra Cigar, dressed in a Mecha Watch parts blank, it took about 4 hours to make the blank, 6 hours to cast in a pressure pot at 50psi, i think it came up a treat

thanks for looking

all thoughts, comments and criticism welcome, don't drool into your keyboard though please

MIK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MIKL

thanks guys, i appreciate the comments

I have the V/Mark 100 series and its ok the 150 looks the bees knees!any vibes at full bore, great job and cast with your pen.

Mate this lathe is awesome, it has three belt changes as well as the variable speed, i have had it up to 3000rpm which is the top speed on the middle belt setting and it just sits on the deck, i haven't bolted it down as yet but i don't think i will need to, it weighs in at 65kg which is around 140lb

i had a 2 week wait while it was made just for ME:biggrin:

i turned all of the pens today at around the 2200rpm mark, i will crank it up when i do some wood though, maybe tomorrow

all the best

MIK

Sweet on both. Nice looking lathe and a great looking pen. I will say this though. You keep a lot of junk in your shop. I would love to help you with this obvious problem. I could help you say store that big blob of wood behind your new lathe.. :biggrin: Just trying to help you out mind you. I know this would be a very big favor but I am willing to sacrifice to help you.. :biggrin:

Last edited:

BSea

I not sure which I like better, the lathe orthe pen. You didan outstanding job making that blank. I think it's about the best looking watch parts blank I've seen. Great job!!

MIKL

Sweet on both. Nice looking lathe and a great looking pen. I will say this though. You keep a lot of junk in your shop. I would love to help you with this obvious problem. I could help you say store that big blob of wood behind your new lathe.. :biggrin: Just trying to help you out mind you. I know this would be a very big favor but I am willing to sacrifice to help you.. :biggrin:

thanks for the feedback Mike, that big blob of wood over the back has been sitting in my shed for 2 years so far, i need to find someone to carve it up for me, it was given to me by a tree lopper friend, i have offered a number of people half the results if they would do the honors with their band-saw, after an initial Yes they always put it off, one day i will get a band-saw and chop the sucker up myself, one day

thanks for the offer though mate, i think freight would be an absolute killer, the look on the lady at the post offices face would be worth a million dollars though

MIK

MIKL

I not sure which I like better, the lathe orthe pen. You didan outstanding job making that blank. I think it's about the best looking watch parts blank I've seen. Great job!!

thanks mate, i love them both

i had a brain storm tonight so there is more to come, keep an eye open, could be a couple of weeks though, got lots on the plate at the moment

I like both.

That lathe must have cost a small fortune!
thanks Dan

Small fortune...... YES
Worth every Penny.......YES

i have only made 9 pens on it but mate, it is sooooooo smooth

if you want one timber-bits sell them... Tell Dave that MIK put you on to it and i might get some commission:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

MIK

MIKL

thanks for all the feedback

And just to think that lathe is made in your country.:biggrin:
Lin

pure bred Aussie just like me

The lathe looks great, congrats. Nothing like a great new tool.

The pen is awesome! I don't like Ultra Cigars, but I love that pen.:)

i originally purchased a heap of these Ultra cigars but after making only one i also decided i had wasted some dollars, then along came these metal blanks and they are made to be together, i just need to find the right combinations to go well with the other colors

all the best

MIK

OZturner

Mik,
I was beginning to wonder what had happened to you.
I hadn't heard from your for Yonks.
Now I see, you have given up your Old tried and true Friends, for your New Toy Boy, Who is this Vic Mark?

It was very hard to see the photographs, through these Green Eyes.

That's enough of the fooling around.

Congratulations, on the Lathe, it is a beauty, and just what you "Needed" ( I always use the expression Needed, never us the word "Want" in particular in ear shot of the Minister for Finances. They are programmed only to satisfy "Needs", "Wants" never get a look in.)

Did you have to spray much water into the Motor of the Old Lathe to Blow it Up?
(Sorry I can't help myself).

Onto your Pen,
A Magnificent Effort,
Superb Blank, Love the Cogs and Bits, in particular your pieces of Riveted Copper Boiler Plate.
What did you use for the silver slivers in the castings?
Your Hardware Choice was spot on and commercially sound, as it is reducing your excess stocks.
Outstanding Fit and Finish as Expected.

Congratulations all round,
Brian.

MIKL

Mik,
I was beginning to wonder what had happened to you.
I hadn't heard from your for Yonks.
Now I see, you have given up your Old tried and true Friends, for your New Toy Boy, Who is this Vic Mark?

It was very hard to see the photographs, through these Green Eyes.

That's enough of the fooling around.

Congratulations, on the Lathe, it is a beauty, and just what you "Needed" ( I always use the expression Needed, never us the word "Want" in particular in ear shot of the Minister for Finances. They are programmed only to satisfy "Needs", "Wants" never get a look in.)

Did you have to spray much water into the Motor of the Old Lathe to Blow it Up?
(Sorry I can't help myself).

Onto your Pen,
A Magnificent Effort,
Superb Blank, Love the Cogs and Bits, in particular your pieces of Riveted Copper Boiler Plate.
What did you use for the silver slivers in the castings?
Your Hardware Choice was spot on and commercially sound, as it is reducing your excess stocks.
Outstanding Fit and Finish as Expected.

Congratulations all round,
Brian.

hiya Brian sorry to cause shading problems with your eyes, its is very hard to see anything when the world is green, St Patricks day was a week ago so maybe you are still recovering from that:biggrin:

SWMBO had no say in the lathe, it came out of the shed funds....MY credit card:eek:

water wasn't the problem, i am guessing all the resin shavings and the motor didn't want to play too well together, the motor on this baby is enclosed so there wont be a problem, of course it could have just been over use as well

the silver slivers are actual Aluminum foil that has been crinkled, painted and then lightly sanded to remover the high parts only, i call it sparks

i used it at work all day today and had a number of people attempting to acquire it

thanks for your feedback mate

MIK

Top Bottom