New Kitty Litter is Born

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wayneis

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

Heres a couple pics of the kitties from Ed's cat. These blanks are awsome. The last one is an Onyx that I through in because I really like how it turned out.

Wayne

20051020153436_DSCN5242%20cat.jpg

20051020153512_DSCN5244%20cat.jpg

20051020153542_DSCN5246%20cat.jpg

2005102015365_DSCN5257%20cat.jpg

20051020153641_DSCN5254%20cat.jpg

20051020153659_DSCN5250%20onyx.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

Great looking pens. Hopefully I'll be getting mine within two weeks. Talked to Ed and once extra money comes in I'll be making a litter of kitties.

wayneis

Thanks everybody. When Ed told me about these new blanks I thought that they would be just some blanks that were spotted to match the colors of different cats. Then I recieved my order and even then I thought that they were nice spotted blanks, it wasn't untill I had the first blanks almost turned that I noticed that it really looked like fur. The lines in the shading is incredable, I didn't expect anything like and I can't figure out how in heck they can make them look so real. They are fun and they turn real nice as long as you have sharp tools and take nice light cuts.

Ed thanks again for bringing these blanks to us.

Wayne

Deere41h

Most interesting Wayne. My wife wants you to send her the second one. That one really looks like fur. Thanks for sharing them with us.

wayneis

John tell your Wife that it would be much cheaper to buy some blanks for you and have you make it for her. LOL

Shane I sat and looked and for the life of me I cannot figure out how they did it, its really something else.

Greg eventhough we pretty much call all of this typr of blank plastic this is I believe a lucite and to me at least it has more of a rubbery feel to it while I was making it, very slight but thats my impression. Now after it is made up it feels just as you would exspect it to.

This is pretty easy stuff to turn. What I have learned to do when turning some of the so called plastics is to use the burr thats left from sharping my tool to do the actual cutting. I end up taking much lighter cuts which for so of the softer blanks like Inlace is a must. What I mean by using the burr is that instead of ridding the bevel and pushing through the cut I pull the tool kind of backwards across the blank and let the burr on the inside of the bevel make the cut. I'm using a 1/2" spindle gouge. This is something that I heard about when I was at the symposium in Provo while talking to someone that I met there. I noticed a couple months ago that CS has a metal block with a couple hard metal plugs that you can buy to help create the burr. They call it Scraper Burnisher and it on page 27 in the last catalog.

Wayne

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm BAAAaaaack!

And I want to say Thanks to Wayne and Anthony for all the kind words about the cats. For the MANY of you who have e-mailed, I will get back to you soon. It's 2 pm on Monday and I literally, just walked into my office after spending the night driving from DesMoines back home-I am POOPED. So, in the next 24 hours, I will answer all e-mails and, make sure I don't run "out" of material.

It is my intention to continue to import this and other "animal" blanks, so stay tuned for further developments.

If anyone else has posted pens made from the "cats", I do not mean to leave you out of my "Thanks", haven't reviewed everything that has taken place on the forum while I was "out selling".

[:D][:D][:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
On a different, but related note-Wayne, THOSE ARE AWESOME!! (I hate that word, but it fits here!!!)

Good material, put in the hands of a great turner, yield excellent results!!!

NICE pens!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom