New Kitless, New Style

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandsini

Sandsini

This one I'm calling the Aquila. It is my first posting, full custom and it features a clip (!) as well as Sterling Silver bands on the cap and the body. The nib is a Jowo #6 Fine in Ruthenium and inking is handled via a piston converter although you could eyedropper it if you applied silicone grease to the section threads.

Thanks for checking it out, I would love to hear your comments.

Attachments

• DSC01643.jpg
    DSC01643.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC01653.jpg
    DSC01653.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC01646.jpg
    DSC01646.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 300
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That's GREAT, Eric !!!!! . Did you use one of those acrylic Mosaic blanks for the "checkered" portions ?

Aquila means eagle ... how does that apply to your pen ? .. Colors, I guess, eh?

Last edited:

Sandsini

That's GREAT, Eric !!!!! . Did you use one of those acrylic Mosaic blanks for the "checkered" portions ?

Aquila means eagle ... how does that apply to your pen ? .. Colors, I guess, eh?

Mal,
Whereas my line of kit pens is named after political and religious titles, I decided to name my kitless pens after constellations. Thus Andromeda, Aquarius, and now Aquila. I chose Aquila because of the strength and majesty of the Eagle, but also because of the two Nova that have appeared in the constellation over the centuries. The ancients believed that a Nova was a new Star, which is what I think of this new style in my lineup.

And, yep, that's one of the mosiac blanks. I wanted something a little bit special but didn't want to risk a vintage blank on what was, essentially, an experiment!.

Eric

magpens

Thanks, Eric .... I like your idea of naming your kitless pens after constellations .... very original idea !!! . I have only a rudimentary knowledge of astromy (hence my question) but you seem to be right into it !

This pen is very "striking" in appearance !

dcannon

Love this style! Really nicely done on this one. That's a really cool use for the mosaic blanks without overdoing it. Was it difficult to thread? With all the seams, I've wondered how fragile it might be. Great job, thanks for sharing!
Dan

Sandsini

Thanks Dan,
It's a little fragile, I took a chunk out of the section threads when I did the final drilling, but it threaded very nicely. I just took everything nice and slow.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This is a beautiful pen Eric!

I love the overall form with the mosaic in one section, and a solid color in the other.

I hope you continue this form - it is very attractive.

Top Bottom