New kitless I finished tonight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mintman

Mintman

Here's one I finished tonight. Polyresin with a #6 Heritance nib.

Attachments

• image-3954626697.jpg
    image-3954626697.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 280
  • image-179220092.jpg
    image-179220092.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 338
  • image-4130168237.jpg
    image-4130168237.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 387
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Psychmike22

I have been looking into trying kitless. I have learned a lot about pen turning by reading posts, using the library, and especially watching YouTube videos. When it comes to YouTube for kitless there is surprisingly little. Would you be willing to explain your process of better yet make a video. I love the look of your pen.

Mintman

I have been looking into trying kitless. I have learned a lot about pen turning by reading posts, using the library, and especially watching YouTube videos. When it comes to YouTube for kitless there is surprisingly little. Would you be willing to explain your process of better yet make a video. I love the look of your pen.

Thanks Mike! There are some good tutorials in the library and here's a good youtube link http://youtu.be/4DQna36uThA.

This guy makes it on a wood lathe. I use both a metal and a wood lathe to make mine. I use the metal lathe with a collet chuck to turn everything to size and do all of the drilling operations. I move to the wood lathe, also using a collet chuck to shape the components and sand and finish.

jcgolov

Nice looking pen.... I just got a new lathe so I was thinking about going making them. what taps and die did you use for the section and cap etc.

furini

Very nice - great blank and shaping. Putting threads on polyester resin has always defeated me...any tips? Love the pen!

OZturner

Magnificent Pen Marc,
Inspired choice of Material.
Superb Profile, and Proportions,
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Outstanding Craftsmanship.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Mintman

Very nice - great blank and shaping. Putting threads on polyester resin has always defeated me...any tips? Love the pen!

Stuart, I size the PR to leave about 3.0mm of thickness. I typically thread the inside(for the section) first. I will then screw in a small plug as I thread the outside threads( mate to the cap)

furini

Stuart, I size the PR to leave about 3.0mm of thickness. I typically thread the inside(for the section) first. I will then screw in a small plug as I thread the outside threads( mate to the cap)

Thanks - I'll have to persevere with my threading attempts.

jcgolov

Sorry for not responding earlier. Got too busy at work... Many thanks for this. I am glad you said this because that was the taps and dies I had ordered days before asking you :) Not quite actually. I ordered 0.75 rather than 1.0... Is 1.0 standard for this type of pen???

RobS

Amazing work. This is my dream to be able to make one.
Love the colors

Any tips on where you bought your taps & dies?
Where you bought the few parts you did use?

Thanks

Mintman

Sorry for not responding earlier. Got too busy at work... Many thanks for this. I am glad you said this because that was the taps and dies I had ordered days before asking you :) Not quite actually. I ordered 0.75 rather than 1.0... Is 1.0 standard for this type of pen???

Jean-Claude,

I believe the .75 will be fine but the m10x1 is compatible with the El Grande nib.

Mintman

Amazing work. This is my dream to be able to make one. Love the colors Any tips on where you bought your taps & dies? Where you bought the few parts you did use? Thanks

Rob,

I bought the taps and dies from Victor Machinery and used a El Grande nib from Berea. I also make my own sections and get Jowo nibs from Meistersinger nibs in the US and FPnibs in Spain. I think I bought the clip from exotic blanks.

Top Bottom