New kit for me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Majorbdk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Yep, classic looks good. Did you paint the tubes or the inside of the hole? From my experience with that blank it really needs it.

Last edited:

Majorbdk

Maybe I'm missing something.... No I didn't paint the tubes, but you can see them... maybe it is the photo... Well... looking again.. maybe I should have..

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Brian,

You left your photo up for 36 minutes, and took it down after one post of constructive criticism?

Unless I have missed something, you need to grow some thicker skin. We learn from critiques.

sefali

Pleas repost the photo. If it is a "mistake", we REALLY need to see it, so we all can learn from it. Seeing a photo pulled because of some constructive criticism also causes people to hold back comments that could actually help posters grow.

Majorbdk

here it is

Attachments

• upload.jpg
    upload.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 299

Majorbdk

i'll add a few more.. Pictures aren't the best

Attachments

• Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Red.jpg
    Red.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Stone.jpg
    Stone.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 201

jttheclockman

Don't take this as a critism either but when posting photos it is nice to tell us the kit and maybe the blank used. What are the red blanks in the 3 photos you posted last. ???

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Brian,

Thank you for reposting your pens. My favorite is the Euro in red acrylic.

As to your first pen, I believe it is the Acrylic Acetate AA-03 blank, available at Beartoothwoods.

I just did a number of Acrylic Acetate pens using El Grande kits. When thin, most if not all of these blanks benefit from painting the tube and the drill hole in the blank. Using black for this would have given you a result more like what you have when the blank is first rounded. I would suggest that you consider using a paint close to the dominant color in the blank for best results in this family of blanks.

Again, thanks for stepping up and showing us your work.

Majorbdk

I have to say that the day that I posted this, I had a bad day. I had blown up more than I made. I think some people can relate. The single barrel kits are Sierra/Wallstreets. I'm not sure what I got them. I get some from Woodcraft but a lot come from Bear Tooth. They have great service. The black and white one is from an auction I won on Ebay. I think it is old. Just looks like someone had sold an estate pen turners stuff. Thanks for the comments. I'm now learning to paint tubes because you are right. Next I need to get a camera that will allow me to get a better white balance on the pictures. Last note, I'm very dyslexic and sometimes I type screwy, lol.

Texatdurango

Brian, Don't take offense if you already know this as others might not know either. To illustrate what William is talking about I attached a photo of two pens I did last year. They are both from the identical blank. One was glued over a brass tube while the other was glued mixing some white pearl PearlEx powder with the epoxy. Big difference huh!

Personally, I don't paint tubes, I tint my epoxy instead as I think it makes for some more spectacular pens. After a while you'll get the hang of which blanks are translucent and which need their tubes painted or your glue tinted.

Attachments

• arpiandanet.jpg
    arpiandanet.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 112

Majorbdk

Thanks...I think I found my own solution today. Paint pens. They dry quick and don't really increase the diameter of the tube. You are right. I does make a difference. I just had a bad day. Sorry again to all.

Top Bottom