A new kit, by customer request!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Scooley01

Scooley01

It's kind of an amazing process, getting better at turning. The better work I do, the more my customers ask me to do different things! This is my first non-7mm pen. It's a new kit from PSI called "Presimo." I'll do a mini-review of the kit after the photos...

Had a customer ask if I could do capped pens, which I previously had not done. So naturally I said "Of course!" :D

This is the rollerball version of the kit (Also comes in fountain), with the plain brushed satin cap. There is also an etched cap, but neither myself nor my customer particularly cared for them.

IMG_0204-1.jpg

IMG_0207-1.jpg

Onto the kit review: Overall, I really like it! The kit is dead simple to put together...it's a single 10mm tube, there's a tip coupler and a back cap, that's it!

It's definitely a sort of style thing that the cap is brushed metal and not a turned material, but it's still a cool look, I think.

The one negative about the kit, actually is the cap. It has a tendency to come apart if the very tip gets twisted (It's just screwed together). A little LocTite on the threads of the cap tip keep that from being an issue!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

It's a nice looking pen, but is that threads I see at the end of the section, just above the nib? It looks like you'd be holding onto them while writing, which I'm not sure would be comfortable if you write a lot.

mb007

It's a nice looking pen, but is that threads I see at the end of the section, just above the nib? It looks like you'd be holding onto them while writing, which I'm not sure would be comfortable if you write a lot.

I put one of these together a few weeks ago, and from my limited experience, I've found it to be very comfortable to write with. I haven't spent an extended time with it, but so far so good!

Scooley, nice pen! I was wondering how it'd look with a wood blank on it. I'm still torn between the etched and brushed caps - but it definitely looks like you chose the right one for your blank!

t001xa22

I also like this kit. I have actually made (3) rollerball sets so far, and found out about the end finial screwing off of the cap the hard way. One customer did not remember the directions about use, and tried to screw the cap off the barrel post after using it, and was holding the cap at the end. Like you did, the quick fix was a touch of Loctite on the threads. I really don't understand why this piece was manufactured as a separate piece from the cap. As we both know, the cap comes in the package already assembled, so I didn't know it was threaded on in the beginning.

Attachments

• EmeraldIslePresimoPen3.jpg
    EmeraldIslePresimoPen3.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 91
  • PinkFlamingoPresimoPen.133.jpg
    PinkFlamingoPresimoPen.133.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 114

GrantH

Good question Scooley, and one I asked about another bit size comparison. I think I was told that machining tolerences are +/- .01-.02 which based on my research the 10mm vs. 25/64 wouldn't be in that range. I'm sure you've looked but 25/64 converts to 9.9219 which is out of that range. I may be worth a try on some old scrap wood just to see if the barrel would glue in. You can always turn to the barrel and sand off the glue.

Top Bottom