New here, but here are some I've done

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dl351

dl351

Hello all. I got into this pen turning in the Fall when my girlfriend and her family got me a starter package from PSI. She knew pen turning was something I wanted to try, but being in college, I could not afford to take up. Since then, I've made about 15 pens. I think 6 or 7 were gifts. Here are four that I have and (despite the talent I've seen here) like a lot.

4366782077_67003ab63f_b.jpg

4366782079_38de45c1f7_b.jpg

From left to right they are:

Amboyna Burl Wall Street II
Honduras Rosewood Burl Cigar
Cocobolo Cigar Pencil
Wild Horse Jasper Tru-Stone Cigar

On the Tru-Stone, it cracked when I was assembling. Once I get back home from school (where my lathe is) I plan to make some sanding dust from the Tru-Stone scrap and use that with some CA to fill the crack. Should that work ok?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arjudy

I've never used trustone but I think your idea for a repair method will work OK. You may need to disassemble the pen and then perform the repair, throw it back on the lathe and refinish it. Just a note about cracks while assembling - make sure the tubes have no residue from whatever you used to glue the blank on (epoxy, CA, etc). Also I've noticed that some kits have a little too much plating on the parts that get pressed into the tubes and scraping it off sometimes helps a part that seems to be too tight.

dl351

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Schtick, the pencil is from Woodcraft. I think it's pretty cool because it actually has a twist-click mechanism. Being an engineering student, I "needed" to find a nice pencil kit that I could use daily in school.

Arjudy, I'll try removing any and all residue that gets in the tubes next time. I like the way the Tru-Stone turned out otherwise!

Jimofsanton, the poorhouse is right! I'm not sure why, but most of my hobbies require a bit of money!

David M

nice pens , i like the last to cigars the best , mostly for shape .
if the crack is on the upper barrel , after repaired could be hid by putting clip over to help hide it

dl351

nice pens , i like the last to cigars the best , mostly for shape .
if the crack is on the upper barrel , after repaired could be hid by putting clip over to help hide it

Thanks! I like the shape of the last two the most, too. The honduras rosewood burl and black cigar is due to get disassembled, turned down a bit, and refinished with CA. At the time, I liked the more round shapes, but have since gotten over that. It will probably remain a little bulby, but not like it is now. Oh, and the cracks are on the lower barrel. Oh well with those. I'll do my best to fix them and give it another try with some different Tru-stone. Darn! :biggrin:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome! Those are some handsome looking pens you've got there.

FYI, below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

broitblat

Those all look nicely done. Good selection of materials and it looks like great fit and finish. I'm not a fan of the (particularly large) shape of the Rosewood burl cigar, but I that's just personal preference and there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

-Barry

dl351

Those all look nicely done. Good selection of materials and it looks like great fit and finish. I'm not a fan of the (particularly large) shape of the Rosewood burl cigar, but I that's just personal preference and there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

-Barry

I plan to disassemble the Rosewood burl cigar, trim it down a bit, and refinish it with CA. It's finished with Hut PPP bars, which don't seem to make it very shiny.

Top Bottom