New to fourm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Travisp

Travisp

New to the fourm and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have been turning pens for a little under a year and am still amazed by the beauty of the wood once it is turned. I have added a couple of pictures of the pens i have turned.

gold_rollerball_amboyna_burl.jpg

titanium_snakewood_rollerball.jpg

silver_segmented_rollerball.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Welcome. Your pens are very nice. Your website, however, is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Plagiarism and copyright violations abound. Unless you get permission from the creators of the content, both descriptions and pictures, I would remove them.

Travisp

I have approval of woodturners catalog to use thier images and text. The images that are displayed are for the pen Styles and allow the customer to choose a style of pen and the material to use. NO WHERE ON THE PAGE DO I CLAIM I MADE THE PENS LISTED ON "PEN STYLES" PAGE. Images used are for customer reference of the style of pen, and finishes availabe. My work is displayed on "THE PENS" page.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If you have permission, do you have permission to use their images and text without attribution? Most copyright holders expect a notation to the effect of "Copyright to images and text on this page are the property of Craft Supplie USA and are used with permission." Not giving proper attribution is misleading your customers and not crediting the copyright holder.

Travisp

I guess you have not looked at the whole page then. please read bottom of that page.

I must admit I'm a little suprised about the responce about this. I have approval from CSUSA and list the images are from CSUSA. Even thuogh thier agreement does not require listing this information on my site. there are alot of sites out there that may use images without permission, I'm not one of them. I asked to use thier images becuase it displays the pen style and finishes nicely. This keeps my website clean and I do not have to have mulipule images of the same pen in differnt finishes which would cause the site to load slowly. there is no misrepesentation of what i'm selling, or the work that i do. If you look at websites for roofers they will display the manufactures pictures of the shingles, look at alot of the service industry and they will do the same. most images of the products are from the manufacturers sales catalogs. With permission they use it to give a better detail of the product they are selling. they also include images of the service that they have provided to prove they are capable of installing, building, making the product. For some reason it is assumed that i stole these pictures and that is not the case.

GaryMGg

Travis,

Nice work on some of those pens.

NB: the following is my personal opinion, value it as you wish.

I think you misread the intentions of both previous posters; their comments to you should be seen as "problem avoidance".
The appearance of impropriety is almost as bad as an actual unethical action.
It's the reason our criminal justice and judicial systems work as they do.

Personally, I'd have a large disclaimer at the top of the Pen Styles page indicating said images are from a vendor's catalog. Your pens look good enough that you don't need a single prospect to visit your web site, see that page and leave with the wrong impression. Again, it's not always what you do so much as how it appears that matters to your potential customers.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your sales. :D

gerryr

Originally posted by Travisp

If you look at websites for roofers they will display the manufactures pictures of the shingles, look at alot of the service industry and they will do the same. most images of the products are from the manufacturers sales catalogs.

Roofers??? Service industry??? All this time I thought I was selling unique one-of-a-kind items, not a commodity where all items are identical.

I have over 150 photos on my website and it isn't slow to load.

Travisp

I'm not the best at typing what I'm trying to explain. But I also understand what everyone else has mentioned on this post. these forums are for sharing information, learning new skills, and proper way of doing things. I appricate everyones input reguarding the page in question. The page was just created on Saturday 5/17/08, I guess I needed to get the opinion of the page and suggestions that you have made. My intention was not to mis-lead anyone or take credit for another persons work, just to provide a detailed image of the pen styles availabe. I have added to the TOP of the page "The images on this page are provided by Craft Supplies USA with their permission. These images are for reference of the pen style, and finishes that are available through CLPC." once again thank you for your input.

Top Bottom