New to forum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timberbits

timberbits

Hi everyone.

I am new to IAP. I was introduced to pen making November last year, and managed to make over 40 pen in time for Christmas. All the recipients including myself was very pleased with the results (all slim-lines) at the time.

Luckily I had the foresight to keep the first 3 as benchmarks to judge my improvements. I pulled them out last week and shook my head - how awful they are compared to what I am making now.

Anyway, I have finally been able to combine my box making and pen turning skill and created something that a gallery has truly been happy with. The timber is birds eye Huon Pine. For those who have not been introduced to Huon Pine, it is a highly prized timber in Australia which is only found in Tasmania. It is extremely slow growing (0.3mm to 2mm diameter / year) and is 2nd oldest organism on the planet (only the bristle-cone pine of North America exceeds it in age) dated at 3,462 years.

All critiques and comments on how to improve are welcome.

Attachments

• x-HP1.jpg
    x-HP1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 157
  • x-HP2.jpg
    x-HP2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 176
  • x-HP3.jpg
    x-HP3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 184
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

timberbits

The boxes and pens are very nice. What sort of time do you spend on a box?
btw Welcome from Georgia.

Because I am normally working with offcuts for the boxes (short pieces), it is taking me a bit longer than usual. I did a small batch of 10 boxes of 5 different woods last week and it took me 2 half days, not including waxing which took another hour.

I think that if I just used straight grained timber where I can put long pieces through the drum sander, I could ramp up production to 15 - 20 boxes for 2 half days, sanding taking up most of the time. I don't seem to be able to do wood working 8 hours a day because I always get side tracked or distracted by the wife and kids.

bitshird

Welcome from the bug zapper super bowl site; Tennessee, the sets look very nice indeed, I like the cradles for the pen and letter opener, beautiful wood. I to look forward to seeing more of your work.

Top Bottom