New first for me - Button Filler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

I've been wanting to make one for some time now but never got around to it until now. Took me a few days of trial and error to get everything to fit and function properly. I'm really happy with the outcome! The blank is one of my own made from Alumilite. The finials are black ebonite which I purposely put a satin finish on. The finials also have inlays of the blank material. Hope yall like it. Comments are always welcome!

DSC02734534x700_zps4ffece34.jpg
DSC02735683x700_zpsaa0fbeed.jpg
DSC02737544x700_zps9e0a217a.jpg
DSC02743700x466_zpse968d06b.jpg
DSC02740700x466_zps9d3cba56.jpg
DSC02739700x540_zpsf047e747.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

That is very cool Jonathon. I'm actually working on 1 of those myself. Well, at least I've started working on it. So I may have to call & pick your brain a little. You don't mind do you.:biggrin:

vanngo5d

Very nice looking like the accents at the ends.
Is that a 12mm thread , I'm trying to get an idea of it's size because there is no lip at the threads and the body

Ed McDonnell

Hi Jonathon - Great design. The cap and body look like they were made from different blanks. Looks good together, but your post sounded like you used one blank. Was there that much color variation across the blank where you cut it for the two parts?

From your second picture it looks like the tip of your clip doesn't contact the cap. I had done some pens like that thinking a loose clip would be better than tight. They constantly fell out of my pocket when I bent over. Of course, we don't wear shirts made from heavy material in my neck of the woods. That might make a difference.

Do you have any pictures of the internals that you could share?

Looks really good.

Ed

Brooks803

Very nice looking like the accents at the ends.
Is that a 12mm thread , I'm trying to get an idea of it's size because there is no lip at the threads and the body

Thanks Don. The cap/body threads are 12mm. I've been trying the no lip look on my past couple FPs. I'm liking it more and more. You can drill out the cap with a larger bit and have the body threads deeper. It helps with those long looking caps to maintain a nice visual while capped.

That is very cool Jonathon. I'm actually working on 1 of those myself. Well, at least I've started working on it. So I may have to call & pick your brain a little. You don't mind do you.:biggrin:

Anytime Bob. You've got my #.

Hi Jonathon - Great design. The cap and body look like they were made from different blanks. Looks good together, but your post sounded like you used one blank. Was there that much color variation across the blank where you cut it for the two parts?

From your second picture it looks like the tip of your clip doesn't contact the cap. I had done some pens like that thinking a loose clip would be better than tight. They constantly fell out of my pocket when I bent over. Of course, we don't wear shirts made from heavy material in my neck of the woods. That might make a difference.

Do you have any pictures of the internals that you could share?

Looks really good.

Ed

Good observation Ed. It is from two seperate blanks. Originally it was from the same blank but the first cap I made got offcenter somehow and was majorly crooked. So I made another blank last night. Sometimes, yes. I do get that much color variation on certain pours. Since I cast vertically gravity plays a big part in the final product. I like it that way though.

The clip isn't quite touching the cap. It'd be fine in my pen case, but if needed I could take off the clip and give it a slight bend to make it tighter to the cap.

I don't have any internal pics taken, but that's another easy fix. Everything's together in a dry fit still. I have put any shellac on the ink sac or put on any talc. I'll see what I can do when I get home.

thewishman

Beautiful!! The color transition from the bottom of the pen looks fabulous! It looks like the ebonite is flowing up into the barrel. :):)

When I am working with different materials, I have a hard time making the top of the cap through the clip and down to the barrel look well integrated. Even when the fit is spot on, it is difficult to make meld.

Brooks803

Very cool! How does the button filler work?

To fill with ink you press the button at the end of the body and it activates a pressure bar inside. The pressure bar compresses the ink sac and when released draws in the ink.

Here's the internal parts to the pen. Yes I know the pressure bar is bent. I did that when I first installed it. I'm going to see if it'll still function right or if I'll need to replace it. Time will let me know that soon.

Attachments

• 2013-02-22_15-03-28_975_zps9fd84182 (700x255).jpg
    2013-02-22_15-03-28_975_zps9fd84182 (700x255).jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 161

Twissy

Very nice work Jonothan! Your "few days of trial and error" gave me a chuckle! My last button filler was a few days of that and two blanks and an extra pressure bar!
Does your pressure bar go all the way down to the shoulder of the section, or sit above the threads? I only ask cos I've got another one to do.
Regards
john

RichF

Nice work Jonothan. The pen looks great. I did my first button filler in clear acrylic so that I could see what is going on inside and make sure the dimensions were all good.

turbowagon

Awesome pen, Jonathon! Those look so challenging to make. Love the matte finish on the ebonite and inlays (or tenons, depending on how you made them).

- Joe

Brooks803

Very nice work Jonothan! Your "few days of trial and error" gave me a chuckle! My last button filler was a few days of that and two blanks and an extra pressure bar!
Does your pressure bar go all the way down to the shoulder of the section, or sit above the threads? I only ask cos I've got another one to do.
Regards
john

Thanks! The pressure bar rests on the shoulder of the tenon for the ink sac. I might have to replace my pressure bar too :redface:.

Awesome pen, Jonathon! Those look so challenging to make. Love the matte finish on the ebonite and inlays (or tenons, depending on how you made them).

- Joe

Thanks Joe! They are a challenge. Lots to take into consideration with clearance of the ink sac and pressure bar. Length and travel distance of the button. Other than that they're ALOT of fun to do.

gbpens

The hint of turquoise makes the blank and the matte finish on the finials povides definition without over-shadowing the black. Beautiful piece. Complete from all sides including the ends.

firewhatfire

Why must you make my mind run so wildly. I am looking at that, thinking I haven't mastered the last thing I wanted to yet. So many new ideas, so little time to master them all.

It does give me an idea about finials.

Impressive,

Phil

3Peake

Awesome pen. The inlays are a very neat and considered touch that tie the pen together.
When are these blanks coming up for sale???
What is the weight like compared to component set pens. Eg a jnr gent?

InvisibleMan

Congrats Jonathon! Looks great! I hope you took better notes than I did. I'm working on button filler #2 and finding I need to re-learn a lot :redface:.

Brooks803

Awesome pen. The inlays are a very neat and considered touch that tie the pen together.
When are these blanks coming up for sale???
What is the weight like compared to component set pens. Eg a jnr gent?

Thanks Martin! The weight is a fraction of a kit pen. I don't have a scale nearby to give an accurate weight, but I've got a Jr. Gent II and the button filler right here and I'd say the button filler is 1/5th the weight. As for the blanks....keep an eye out soon :wink:

Congrats Jonathon! Looks great! I hope you took better notes than I did. I'm working on button filler #2 and finding I need to re-learn a lot :redface:.

Notes....I was supposed to keep notes?!?!?

Jonathon,
I know you are showing off the button filler, but that cast is sick!!! I LOVE the white with the green and pearl. AWESOME CAST!!!

Jason

Thanks Jason! I was really happy with how the casts came out to. :biggrin:

Top Bottom