New experiments...please critique

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

This is a similar idea to the one posted earlier this week. Excuse the plain wood. It was a boring peice of makore with only a little curl. I reversed this one. The clip section is mobile and turns but the nib is glued and pressed in like any other slimline. My wife thinks its boring and formless. What do you think?

DSC01960.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Anthony, you're brutal!!![B)][B)]. but right. Perhaps a vertically-laminated pen blank would break up the line. Just a thought.

JimGo

I agree, rather boring and formless. A little stain might probably bring out the curl in the wood, which might make it more visually interesting. I like the idea of the twist clip, rather than the tip. I'm guessing that the pen isn't much longer than the refill, otherwise getting the refill in and out will be a problem!

PenWorks

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Anthony, you're brutal!!![B)][B)]. but right.

Ed, what can I say, I was brought up never to tell a lie,[:D] sometimes the truth hurts [V] But I give Shane an A for effort in trying new designs. [8D]

coach

I'm with Anthony. Yes, this piece is pretty boring. I often do that when trying a new design, so I don't waste a piece of wood or extra time in case it doesn't work. The good news is that it worked, so you can turn another that may be more pleasing to the eye.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
OK, I may be missing something here... if the clip end turns to extend the point, how do you get the cross refil in and out of the pen.... either I missed something here or I am having some senior moments..

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I understand how you did it and rather than say it is boring with out seeing the pen I won't.It may have an appearance the camera doesn't capture.
The part that would concern me is the fact the clip turns possiby subjecting the top to scratches while activating the refill.I have done a few like this(not a whole body, but have the clip turn) and noticed that problem.
Nice concept and it shows off the wood.
Put me in the
icon_thumbs.gif

column
[:D]

gpadgham

Looking at it kind of makes me think its an adaptation of a baseball bat pen, or a billy club or something. Just my opinion. It looks like it might be a well weighted pen though. I like my pens to be a little top heavy when I write, and I've always been a function over form kinda person when it comes to things that have to work. ;) (Though something that functions well, and has exceptional form, is a plus in my book)

C_Ludwigsen

I'm glad you made this. I've figured out how the finial could work to extend and retract the tip. But, Like Tom, I can't understand how you would ever get the refill out. Even if you shortened the upper tup as much as possible, the ink cartridge would be fully captured within the barrel. Once in, I don't see it coming out.

Paul in OKC

Well, I would assume that the upper half of the barrel ws drilled a little over size so turning the clip would turn the upper tube. Great to experiment with, but I would agree with the concern of scrathing the wood when twisting. (Little needle nose pliers for the refill??)

Rifleman1776

I dunno quite what to think of it. To me, the beauty is in the wood. Fancy-dancy doesn't always translate into attractiveness. Your style shows a lot of wood. In a burl or something equally beautiful it might be a real 'stopper'. As for the work, I do wonder if you left enough clearance for the clip to fit over the material of a shirt pocket. Do another in cocobolo or a fancy burl and show that. Style wise it is innovative.

woodscavenger

OK,OK. Next time I'll use some eye candy for my experiments. But for now here are some answers.

The Length of the pen in a bit shorter than a full length slimline. I think I chopped off about 3/8". that length came out of the top tube. The length was dictated only by the fact that my drill bit was too short to completely drill a full length blank and I don't think my press is accurate enough to flip it around and drill from the bottom end.

I shortened the refill by sanding off about 1/4" of the black plastic cap on my disc sander. Then I used a slender file and made a slot in the top of the refill like a pan head screw. I used a screw driver to slip it in place. If you take apart a few drug rep pens (I have now disassembled a bunch to look for design ideas) you will find quite a few refills that have a phillips head slot cut in them for that very reason. The clip/finial/tube assembly slides in easily and comes back out without too much pressure. Obviously this makes selling the pen difficult since the refill is a custom job but if I can learn to drill accurately no shortening would be needed.

The comment about scratchin the wood is a valid one. I bent the clip just a touch. It sits just above the wood. Far enough that it does not scratch the wood. I think a more robust clip like one from the streamline kit would give a little better grip to twist the mechanism. Overall it think the design concept is a good one if I can learn to drill an accurate longer hole.

Thanks for looking.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />OK,OK. Next time I'll use some eye candy for my experiments. But for now here are some answers.

The Length of the pen in a bit shorter than a full length slimline. I think I chopped off about 3/8". that length came out of the top tube. The length was dictated only by the fact that my drill bit was too short to completely drill a full length blank and I don't think my press is accurate enough to flip it around and drill from the bottom end.

&lt;&gt;

The comment about scratchin the wood is a valid one. I bent the clip just a touch. It sits just above the wood. Far enough that it does not scratch the wood. I think a more robust clip like one from the streamline kit would give a little better grip to twist the mechanism. Overall it think the design concept is a good one if I can learn to drill an accurate longer hole.

Thanks for looking.
To drill a deeper hole,After you have gone as far as you can,rechuck the bit while it's in the hole.To clear the bit drop the table after raising the bit.

woodscavenger

My bit was chucked with only about 1'4" holding it in the drill press. I need a 7mm bit like you can get at Home Depot for drilling holes to pull electrical cable with....about 3 feet long.[:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />My bit was chucked with only about 1'4" holding it in the drill press. I need a 7mm bit like you can get at Home Depot for drilling holes to pull electrical cable with....about 3 feet long.[:D]
16 inches!
Where'd you get a 7mm bit that long?

53Jim

The part that would concern me is the fact the clip turns possiby subjecting the top to scratches while activating the refill.I have done a few like this(not a whole body, but have the clip turn) and noticed that problem.

I have never tried anything this involved before, but the idea of the barrel getting scrathed did come to mind. Maybe if you could slide a small slab of corian in the blank at the point where the clips lies, that might take care of the scratching problem.

<u>Just my thoughts. Feel free to ignore them if you like.</u>

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If you don't mind, Shane, I'd like to comment on two aspects of your pen...creativity and artistic value.

The concept is quite creative, having eliminated the "corset" look without a custom centerband. The comments on the potential for the clip to mar the finish are the same ones I have made regarding the Wall Street and the new Broker. Time will tell. I don't really understand how easy or difficult it will be for an inexperienced user to replace the refill in this or Chuck's pen, so I find that a bit disconcerting.

As for shapeless and boring, I disagree. I find very little in mother nature to be boring. I often get lulled into viewing a pen and being seduced by the wood. The craftsmanship, which is excellent, has overcome the fact that this is not a visually attention-grabbing spalt or burl. The shape is similar to many that some fine pen companies have produced for years. It looks extremely comfortable for the hand.

Randy_

I like the idea; but this one "IS" a little plain. A small inlay or a couple of "burn rings" would go a long way to making this pen more interesting visually.

I can think of several easy ways to get the refill in and out; but nothing, right off hand, that would be simple enough for a "customer" to deal with. What's your secret, Shane?? (Oops, didn't realize there was a second page to this thread. Questioned answered. Thanks!)

Randy_

Originally posted by woodscavenger<br />.....Overall it think the design concept is a good one if I can learn to drill an accurate longer hole....

My drill press is not the best......I've started drilling tight or long blanks on my lathe. The process is somewhat slower; but I get much better results!!

Randy_

Originally posted by woodscavenger...<br />Obviously this makes selling the pen difficult since the refill is a custom job but if I can learn to drill accurately no shortening would be needed...

Correct me if my thinking is off on this..... On my slimline kits, the finial is solid and about 5/16" long. Even when you figure out how to drill a slightly longer hole, the top of the refill will have to be recessed into the pen body by about a quarter inch to clear the finial when it is in place. That being the case, you will still need to cut a slot in the refill cap to facilitate its removal. You won't have to sand off a 1/4" of plastic; but you will still have a custom refill and expecting a customer to have the correct size of screwdriver to insert and remove the refill is probably asking a little much.

Could be wrong about this; but I would guess those "Phillips" slots in the cartridges are only for insertion. I figure those pens are expected to be "throw-aways" when the ink supply is depleated???

driften

<br />OK,OK. Next time I'll use some eye candy for my experiments.

First off when experimenting on shape and function don't bother using eye candy! Once you are done that experment you can do another with other material.

I think the shape is borning and feel you are right that the clip needs to be something diffrent to lend twords using it to extend the refill. I think you are on the right path though in having it done on the clip side not the nib side. I think your idea is good and you should keep at it. You can always supply a cheep hunk of metal to use as a screwdriver for refill replacement and maybe even include an extra refill. I would not worry about that yet.

Keep up the good work!

Randy_

Originally posted by driften<br />...You can always supply a cheep hunk of metal to use as a screwdriver for refill replacement...

Jeff: That's probably a little optimistic. By the time the first refill has been depleted, I expect most folks will have either lost the "insertion tool" or forgotten where they put it for safe keeping!! [}:)]

woodscavenger

Thanks Jeff. BTW my wife still has fantasies about Boehm's chocolate up there in your neck of the woods. She would just about kill for some rocky road.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom