New Emporers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chigdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

chigdon

Here are a couple of new Emporers. One in Black Palm and one in Bolivian Rosewood Burl.
tn_Rosewood%20Burl%20Emporer.jpg
tn_Black%20Palm%20Emporer%201.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Great looking pens. And the pictures expand well in my viewer. Is it my imagination or do you put a "brand" of sorts in your pens? A figure stands out in the palm and I thought I saw it again when I went back and looked at the rosewood burl.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Tip, Chris covered this in another posting a week or so back. It is his logo, lasered onto the pens he makes. I have considered that, but mith a custom made micro branding iron. The only problem is getting a brand small enough.

chigdon

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Tip, Chris covered this in another posting a week or so back. It is his logo, lasered onto the pens he makes. I have considered that, but mith a custom made micro branding iron. The only problem is getting a brand small enough.

I have thought about trying to brand in the logo to save the process of getting the lasering on all of them. I have always been afraid of the consistance. I have a brand that I use on the bottoms of bowls and you don't need to be perfect there. I just need to get my own laser -- maybe I can sell my car . . .

chigdon

Originally posted by terrymiller
<br />I really like the black palm have turned several myself. Have you had a problem with tear out.

I can say it is my first SUCCESSFUL black palm pen. I have tried to turn crosscut palm a time or two before unsuccessfully. Eventually I will take my time enough to get it.

redfishsc

chigdon, out of curiosity, on cross-grained pens--- would loading the engrain with thin CA while turning help with tearout/blowout? I've shattered a few figured mahogany blanks lately and would like to finally turn one just to see how it looks.

Thanks---

Matt

chigdon

I would say it does. I saw advice from someone on IAP a while back about turning cross cut wood to side with a 1/16" parting tool. It is not a very fun way to turn wood but it does a great job with virtually no tear out (except with cross cut palm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom