New Drumstick Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robertkulp

robertkulp

Just finished the second of two drumstick fountain pens that a client requested. These are not turned, but the ends are barely rounded over; just enough to meet the hardware. I lengthened the cap on both in order to accommodate the logo and I lengthened the body on just one of them.

The hardware is PSI's Magnetic Graduate in Gunmetal. Drilling the bodies of these are really fun. You have to put a 10.5mm hole in the center of a 13.4mm drumstick. You end up with sidewalls that are about .064" thick.

Attachments

• 20160509_221039_Cropped.jpg
    20160509_221039_Cropped.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 450
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robertkulp

Jum:

I'll bite, how'd you do it. My son is an avid drummer and this would make a gret gift.

John Grden

No magic for mine. Just used an HD for the body and a 5B for the cap. I did cut custom length tubes to get the full logos, though. This is something you have to drill on the lathe. I don't know of any drill press with tolerances tight enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 241

Jim Smith

My example of a drumstick pen was my first attempt at a semi-kitless pen. I simply cut the back section to the length I wanted and drilled it out to fit a tube from a Jr. Gent. I made sure to leave the logo on the drumstick. I glued in the tube and inserted the Jr. Gent threaded section until it was just a tiny bit past flush (inset) with the wood. I cut the top section to the length I wanted and drilled it out for the female section of the kit. This was a bit tricky since the wood was tapered about wouldn't sit straight in the collet chuck very easily. Once I had the tubes inserted and the threaded pieces in place, I assembled the pen and chucked it in the collet chuck with paper towels to pad it and sanded the top portion to be the same diameter as the back section of the pen. It came out okay and I will probably make some more as I have a number of drumsticks I picked up at Goodwill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom