New display case for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigShed

BigShed

I was told by management that I needed to make something better than the usual case to display my pens.

Some time ago I had purchased 10 Blackwood (Acacia Melanoxylon) slabs from Kallista in the Dandenongs and at one of the Melbourne Pen Shows I had purchased some drawer inserts.

So I set out to design something that would meet with management approval using these two materials.

I came up with a design that stores 100 pens in 10 drawers the top 20 pens being visible through glass.

IMG_5653.JPG

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5646.JPG

IMG_5645.JPG

The final result was approved by management and is now on display in our lounge room.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Outstanding work Fred! A fine piece of furniture. Susanne says it's neat :biggrin: There you have approval of two managers AND me. Well done friend.

BigShed

Thanks guys!

It actually achieved 2 things, first of all it stopped the "when are going to make a decent pen display?" and it stopped the "when are you going to use some of that Blackwood you spent all that money on?":biggrin::tongue:

Cutting up a slab of that Blackwood (about 2400(8ft)x500(20")x55(21/4") was an interesting job all by itself and left me with some interesting pen blanks as well.:good:

I have another 9 of those slabs sitting in the workshop.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Fred, I apologize. I just took a closer look at the grain pattern. I don't think I could have done that. :redface: You amaze me sir!:biggrin:

walshjp17

Since Chuck mentioned it, I went back and looked again. WOW! If you look up 'grain match' in the dictionary, it should show your awesome pen display case.

BigShed

Thanks all for your kind comments, much appreciated.

I have been asked by a few people where I sourced the drawer inserts.

I actually bought quite a few at the 2010 Melbourne Pen Show from the importer of Omas pens, in fact I bought all he had left.

Took me a while to actually use them for what I bought them for!

Recently I followed a link from a thread in one of the pen forums and found that company also sold them:

https://www.gopens.com/Vintage_Pen_P...otterBoxes.php

One thing to keep in mind with these is that each pen partition is somewhat on the narrow side and whilst they suit my style of pen nicely, a lot of people like to make "fatter" pens and they don't fit so well.

I have quite a few pens from US swap partners that only go in to the partition part way.

Another thing is that the overall length of the pen can only be 135mm, hence I have put 2 15mm spacers in front and behind the insert. The spacers are made from artists foamcore board covered with self adhesive flocked material that by a happy coincidence is an almost perfect match in colour.

Two or more of these inserts can be placed side by side to fit a drawer taking 21+ pens, the 2 half partitions make a whole one, adding another insert would give you 32 pens and so on.

The inside dimensions of my drawers is 195x165x25mm.I used timber dimensioned to 12mm for the drawers, drawer fronts and carcass (including the back). The top and bottom are 19mm thick and made from 60mm wide timber.

The inside dimensions of my drawers is 195x165x25mm.I used timber dimensioned to 12mm for the drawers, drawer fronts and carcass (including the back). The top and bottom are 19mm thick and made from 60mm wide timber.

The drawer fronts were cut from one piece of 12mm Blackwood, hence the grain matching on those.

This display used quite a lot of timber and I have lost count of the number of hours, including making a trial one from 12mm plywood to get the dimensions correct. The trial one has now found a use as storage in the shed.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

gimpy

Nice case, I'm sure the management upgraded you to a foreman,
great job.....Do you wish to give the dimensions

Top Bottom