New Convert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Houtkop

Houtkop

I only recently started turning, and drool over all the fantastic pens on display. Here is a Mesa I turned out off Red Currant Burl without bushings while my 76 year old uncle watched. He was so impressed with the whole pen turning thing that he also wanted to try. The Fancy was his first attempt (with a little help). Needless to say I now have to find him a cheap (being a pensioner) lathe while he is on a 10 week road trip.

Attachments

• RCMesa.jpg
    RCMesa.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 322
  • Convert.jpg
    Convert.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 297
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Well , you can drool over some of the pens here and I`ll drool over your wood . Is that red currant actually from a currant bush , or is it a wood that has been given that name because of its appearance ?

Houtkop

We call it Red Currant, but it is not related to the actual Red Currant fruit which grows on a smallish shrub. The common name came from a passing resemblance of the fruit to that of the afore mentioned shrub. The scientific name for this tree is Searsia Chirindensis. I have a very acute sinus reaction to the sawdust of this plant.

The Black Stinkwood is so called due to a very strong odor that is released when the timber is cut. Once dried it still has a slight odor, but it I find it very pleasant. A very sought after timber locally.

Houtkop

It looks like your uncle may have some previous turning experience.

No, not at all. Would like to think that I am a good teacher,but he is one of those people that are naturals at anything they try. I think it comes with the mellowness of age.

Rink

Well, I hope both of you have a great time. This addiction...er, hobby...is great fun and allows so much creativity.

Top Bottom