New Color Cactus Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mbroberg

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Curtis surprised me with my last order from www.TurnTex.com with a black cactus blank cast with some gold metallic flakes. This is a brand new color. Curtis told me that he hasn't even turned one yet. I have the one and only!! :biggrin: He asked for an opinion. It's a very nice blank, to which my poor pictures (soon to be rectified) don't do justice. It turns as well as all Curtis' blanks. The color is rich and the metallic gold is very subtle. I've never turned a clear cactus blank yet, so I cannot say how it compares to a clear blank reverse painted black. I reverse painted this one with 'Dark Tan". Wet sanded and MM to 12000 then White Diamond and Ren Wax.

My SIL was over for Easter and wanted me to make her a pen she could give as a gift. I showed her some of the blanks I had on hand, she IMMEDIATELY zeroed in on this one, even though it was only one of several of Curtis' blanks along with many others I have amassed. :eek: I think she will be happy with the end result.

It is on a Ti Gold Clicker. As always, constructive criticism is requested!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

It's a nice looking pen. I think I may prefer the clear variety to the colored, but that's just my opinion. It's a very nice looking pen.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Good looking pen, Mike! Glad you like the color and thank you for the feedback you gave on it. Can I have your permission to include the photo in my customer photo gallery on my website?

cnirenberg

Mike,
Great looking pen-you did Curtis proud! I really like the color-nice contrast, but again I have always been a fan of Curtis' work.

Texatdurango

Mike,
Great looking pen-you did Curtis proud! I really like the color-nice contrast, but again I have always been a fan of Curtis' work.
I agree, his work is often imitated but never duplicated. I think what makes these blanks nice is the way he arranges the skeletons to look their best rather than just stuffing a mold and adding resin. But I guess after doing several hundred of them he's figured out how to make them look their best and can probably do it in his sleep. :)

The blank looks nice but I didn't see the gold metallic flakes, only the skeletons unless some of what I think are skeletons are actually flakes!

Top Bottom