New Camera, New Light Tent, Oh, and new pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

Here are some of my latest. I had never done a euro before, just because the cross refill didn't exactly excite me. But my brother in law loves his slimline that I gave him when I 1st started turning, so I thought I'd replace it with something a little nicer. 1st one is spalted pecan on a chrome euro. I did a custom centerband & cap. Both are black alumilite, and the CB has some aluminum mixed in. The finish is more of a satin finish. That's something else he prefers. Not my taste really, but it's not going to be my pen.
Clydepen2.jpg

Next is a white tail antler with walnut. I had something a little nicer than walnut planned, but it didn't look right. I used gunmetal components. I really had a hard time selecting the finish. Gold & Chrome didn't look right, and I didn't think an antler or walnut cap would look right. So I went with the darker gunmetal finish over the Black TI finish. This also has a satin finish. Mainly because I think antler looks better with a satin finish.
AntlerWalnut3.jpg

I'm giving him the choice between the 2 euro's, or I'll make him a slimline with some of the spalted pecan.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GrantH

Both are very nice. Would you mind sharing some tips/info on turning pecan? I've lost two pieces now because of me blowing it up. Super soft stuff...

BSea

Both are very nice. Would you mind sharing some tips/info on turning pecan? I've lost two pieces now because of me blowing it up. Super soft stuff...
Just a couple of tips. Use thin CA even before you get the blank round. Then reapply as you go. You don't want to ever be turning material without a lest some CA. Take light cuts, and use sharp tools. Even with all that, there are times you have to fill voids with shavings. Just pack the shavings as tight as you can, & then pour thin CA over the shavings letting it sink in. When you start finishing, you'll have some low spots that have to be filled with CA. Just take your time, and use multiple layers

It usually takes me 3 or 4 times as long to do a pen with this kind of spalting. And most of that is when finishing.

EDIT: I almost forgot to tell you. When you get close, just use something like 120 grit sandpaper.

Last edited:
That is some beautiful wood on the first one, tons of character and the antler looks great also. I have tried to get that inner part of the antler from not getting turned off but it usually doesn't happen.

ericd

I had never done a euro before, just because the cross refill didn't exactly excite me.

For future reference, the 8 mm Euro (aka Round Top) takes a Parker refill. I like these pens.

I really like the black alumilite. Nice job

Eric

BSea

I love that antler! Nice work Bob!!!

That is some beautiful wood on the first one, tons of character and the antler looks great also. I have tried to get that inner part of the antler from not getting turned off but it usually doesn't happen.

Very nice pens. Like how you did the antler for the center band.

Really like them both. I also like what you did with the antler one, the top looks really cool, nice touch. Great work!!!

I really like the antler one too. I'm really hoping he takes the other one. I got kinda lucky with the natural antler still showing. I wanted it to show, but I think luck played a major role. The center band was kind of an after thought. It needed a little something. And that part isn't truly round because if it was, I'd have lost most if not all of the natural edge. So that prevented me from using the centerband from the kit, or doing something else.

For future reference, the 8 mm Euro (aka Round Top) takes a Parker refill. I like these pens.

I really like the black alumilite. Nice job

Eric
I have done a Neopean (I think that's what he calls them) from Lau Lau, but that's a much larger pen. My Brother In law doesn't like fat pens, so I thought this was about as large as I could go. But I will keep that 8mm kit in mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom