A new blue - PEN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

Here's a new one. No cap yet - will make it tomorrow. Getting a clip, too - I think.

It's made from one of those amalgam mutt blanks from bear tooth woods.
Turns REALLY easy. At least in a semi warm shop - 60s. Seems to turn easier than all the other acrylics I've worked with so far. Drilling it out is odd though. It's almost sticky. Meaning that when I turn the tail to pull out the drill bit it doesn't want to come out. Started drilling at about 600 or some rpm - sped it up a little and that helped.

Polishes and shines up REALLY easy. Probably the shiniest pen I've made so far - though it doesn't show really well in the pics.

the material
Bear Tooth Woods - Color Explosion Pen Blank - Batch #13

#6 M Meisternib by Jowo.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Beautiful pen, cant wait to see the cap.
I love those CE blanks too. I think i have one from that batch also.
I just recently made my wife a triton ballpoint with CE, red & white.
Can i ask how you finished yours? Mine had a little shine to it, but i thought it could of been better.

watch_art

Thanks!

Finish - 220- 320-400, then micromesh from roughest to finest - then auto headlight plastic polish on a paper towel - all running at about 2000 rpms. I've still got plenty of practicing to do though. :D

longbeard

i've read where some uesd meguires plastic polish
i used MM, then novus #3 then #2, then buffed it (2 wheel)
have to try the plastic polish on the next one.
thank you
Harry

cnirenberg

Shawn,
Looks great. How was it to thead? I am assuming it is one of El Mostro's blanks-Alumilite? If so disregard the first question. Can't wait to see the cap..

Old Lar

I too can't wait to see the cap. I have made a few pens with the CE blanks and really like how they turn.
I have been working on my first, second and third kitless and they are pieces that went into my dust collector. I am getting closer but had not thought of those blanks for a kitless. I admit I am pretty dense and uncreative but still have fun with this hobby.

watch_art

All done!

2.JPG

2%20%282%29.JPG

2%20%283%29.JPG

2%20%284%29.JPG

biednick

It looks good overall, but I would like to make 1 suggestion. The cap looks a little on the long side to me. It still looks good, but the proportions are off IMHO

soligen

It looks good overall, but I would like to make 1 suggestion. The cap looks a little on the long side to me. It still looks good, but the proportions are off IMHO

Shawn,

You are comming a long way, but I have to agree with this. Try getting the proportions closer to: Body length = 1.5 x cap length

Last edited:
Top Bottom