new Baron pen bowling ball material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made this men from a bowling ball my neighbor was selling at a garage sale. I modified the posting end and replaced the cb ring with the same material.

of%20Baron%20plat%20rb%20bowling%20ball%20material.jpg

%20of%20plat%20baron%20RB%20bowl%20ball%20material.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Glenn, that is a great job, and beautiful pen. The lower barrel looks like it is one piece, but of course I cannot really tell from the pic. Nice pic too!

bajacrazy

Beautiful pen. [8D]

This might be a stupid question but doesn’t the center of bowling balls have different material used than on the outside? Just wondering how much of the bowling ball is usable after cutting. Haven’t found one to cut and find out myself.[;)]

Fred in NC

That is actually a very good question, Brian. Some do and some don't. Hard to tell for me.

Maybe those who have cut bowling balls can help us.

daledut

Great job Glenn. I especially like the modifications. Is that center band in two pieces, or how did you get the replacement material in there?

I hope you didn't hurt yourself cutting the bowling ball.... one launched bowling bowl was enough for me. If I hadn't stopped it with my chest the table saw would have flung it clear across the room [:I]

dougle40

Great looking pen Glenn . Going to have to go to a couple of Thrift shops to see if they have any bowling balls in color , the only ones I've sen so far were black .

woodpens

Originally posted by daledut
<br />I hope you didn't hurt yourself cutting the bowling ball.... one launched bowling bowl was enough for me. If I hadn't stopped it with my chest the table saw would have flung it clear across the room [:I]
I want to caution people about this very thing. Whether it results in a bowling ball screaming across your shop or a band saw blade snapping and whipping across your arm, cutting a large round object with the weight of a bowling ball can be a very dangerous proposition. Please, please be careful and discuss it with someone who has already done it before.

That being said, your pen looks terrific, Glenn. The band is an accent that is hard to beat. Very nice job!

jkirkb94

Glenn, I really like the modifications to the pen! I, too would like to know how your replaced the CB material with the bowling ball material?[?] Great looking color! Kirk[8D]

Thanks, all of you, for the compliments. First I would like to say that I dont recommend cutting a bowling ball, as I did, but if you do...you cant wear enough protection(ie. face shield,short sleeves, catchers /umpires chest protector, etc.).Be sure your insurance premiums are paid up. Please, please dont tell my wife about this as i will be banned from my shop forever.
The ball I cut up had about 2-1/2-3" of material around the outside and a concrete color "resin" inside. I raised my table saw blade up as far as it would go and held it on either side as I turned it. After I cut it once all around, I put a wedge in the kerf and began to pound it with a sledge hammer. In the north you may want to put it outside to freeze before hammering, this would probably help. I cut mine in summer.
The Baron cb comes in sections so I replaced the black section. I cut a piece of material about an inch square and drilled a hole the size of the I.D. of the black ring i replaced, allowing the large bushings to to fit in nicely. After filling the rest of the mandrel with spacers, I turned a secion from the center, sanded it and polished it, then used my parting tool to separate it from the blank. I then finished the sanding and polishing on the sides by hand.

G

A much simpler and safer way to cut a bowling ball is with a band saw equipped with a sled.
The ball will rest without rolling around if you put the thumb hole on the bottom.Adavnce teh sled and cut a small slice off on side.
When you have cat a "flat" you can rest the ball on that and continue to "slice" it.

I cut 1/2 of a ball this way with no problems other than a lot of "strings" flying arounf the shop.
To cut the "core" outI cut the slices in half. I teh "kerfed" teh slice and using an old chisel I pried teh "core" of the outer shell.
The ball I used did not have a thick shell so I glued up the segments,outer shell to inner core.
Bad glue lines.
I made the pen but not happy with the results.

bajacrazy

Originally posted by oobak
<br />Thanks, all of you, for the compliments. First I would like to say that I dont recommend cutting a bowling ball, as I did, but if you do...you cant wear enough protection(ie. face shield,short sleeves, catchers /umpires chest protector, etc.).Be sure your insurance premiums are paid up. Please, please dont tell my wife about this as i will be banned from my shop forever.
The ball I cut up had about 2-1/2-3" of material around the outside and a concrete color "resin" inside. I raised my table saw blade up as far as it would go and held it on either side as I turned it. After I cut it once all around, I put a wedge in the kerf and began to pound it with a sledge hammer. In the north you may want to put it outside to freeze before hammering, this would probably help. I cut mine in summer.
The Baron cb comes in sections so I replaced the black section. I cut a piece of material about an inch square and drilled a hole the size of the I.D. of the black ring i replaced, allowing the large bushings to to fit in nicely. After filling the rest of the mandrel with spacers, I turned a secion from the center, sanded it and polished it, then used my parting tool to separate it from the blank. I then finished the sanding and polishing on the sides by hand.

Thanks for all the detailed information.

bajacrazy

Upon further studies of you pen I've notice that your Baron is missing the end cap, end cap coupler, spring,and etc. How did you finish off the end? You must of had a hole from turning mandrel. From the second picture it looks all bowling ball material with no hole. [?][?]

Fred in NC

There are a couple ways to do it, Brian. The first is to plug the hole after the barrel is turned.

The second, and best, is to drill a blind hole (hole that does not go all the way through) and glue the tube in. The blank needs to be 1/4" or more longer that finished size. Drill a center hole at the blind end.

You will need a short mandrel or shaft chucked at the headstock end. It needs to be a little longer than the hole in the tube. A wood dowel will work. You mount the blank on the short mandrel, and use the live center at the other end. Turn, leaving the blind end for last. Sand etc. Then turn the blind end and it will eventually break loose. Then finish sand that end by hand. A snug mandrel works best.

A variation of this method is to turn the blind end first, chucking the body of the pen, and then mount it on the short mandrel, with a CUP CENTER at the tailstock. I use a little cushion between the pen and the cup center.

I did my first desk set this way about 2 yrs ago, and have made a few more since.

daledut

I deffinitely do not recomend Glenns method of cutting a bowling ball. Because it is the same way I tried and the blade caught in the kerf as I was rotating it and it launched and slammed me in the chest... hard. I even made a sled to cradle the ball and it still cocked ever so slightily to one side and that was all it took to launch it. Plus after all that the material thickness was barely 1/2" thick, so I had to slice and dice and glue together.

The pen looks fantastic, but I would recomend buying the bowling ball blanks already made. That is what I will do in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom