New African Blackwood Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Heirloom Woodturnings

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an African Blackwood cigar, with Titanium Gold fittings. It will be donated as a prize for a raffle run by the Scottish American Society in Corning, NY at their Robert Burns (Scotland's most famous Bard)dinner celebration tomorrow night at the Radisson

200512215311_african_blackwood_cigar_GoldTN.jpg

. I thought it appropriate since African Blackwood is most often used to make Highland Bagpipes. (BTW I play the pipes and will be performing at the dinner with our pipe band.) I have not made any pens for the last couple weeks or so and have put off making this one until tonight hoping it would warm up a bit. No such luck. I nearly froze my fingers off making this one. I have a tiny space heater out in the work shed that was barely keeping things a toasty 20 degrees. Tonight its supposed to go down to about -5..............[xx(]

31152_African%20blackwood%20cigarTNgold%20campbell.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

It's a beautiful pen Keith...and very appropriate for the occassion, but -5 degrees? Darn I'm glad I live in Texas. I had the shop doors open and working in a t-shirt a few minutes ago.

Fred in NC

That is one beautiful pen! Maybe I am biased, because I have made blackwood cigar pens before, and will make more. They sold well for me. Great job, Keith!

PenWorks

EEEhhhh ladie, a very fine piece you made there. I'm sure that will help raise some sheckles at the raffle. It blends in fine with your kelt. Have fun tomarrow night. Love the bag pipes, I could listen to them all night. At our golf club on certain tournaments, they bring out about 6 pipe players and they sound fantastic!

Anthony

jwoodwright

Nice pens. Know about the cold. Few days ago we were -20*F... Now we're having a Heat wave 32*F... Thinking of burning some meat tomorrow... Must be the Tradewinds helping warm us up... Didn't wear my coat, I was sweating...[:D]

Thanks for all the positive comments, to answer one question, thats the Campbell tartan that I took the second scan with. I have Scottish roots on my mothers side. She's a Campbell. The pen really did come out beautiful but the scan did not do it justice. I use the scanner for the sake of expediancy, but sometimes the scans come out great and other times the colors and shadows are not so good. I've also noticed that my scanner glass seems to be clouded a bit on the underside where the lamp is. Anyone else ever have this problem? I'm wondering of there is a way to remove the glass and clean it on the underside. I have an HPpsc 2110 all in one printer/scanner.

It looks like we'll be slogging through the snow tonight for the Burns Dinner. On top of the bitter cold, we under a winter storm warning. I just got a call that my son's Cub Scout outing this morning was cancelled. Its already started to snow and they are predicting between 4 and 10 inches by tomorrow. Luckily the Radisson isn't too far away.

tipusnr

Great pen. Need to go out and shovel. That storm from, which is headed your way, hit Columbus after 3 AM this morning. First load is on the ground with a second wave moving in this afternoon. At least it waited until I was done and home!

woodscavenger

Our ice storm today gave me a great excuse to be out in the shop since we couldn't get out and do anything else. The blackwood looks like something I will have to try. I just finished an wenge/bocote pen while huddled around my space heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom