New Acrylic/Solid Surface Designs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bajacrazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajacrazy

Just thought I would share this picture of two new designs that I was playing around with this afternoon. Chime in and give me your honest opinion. I have several other designs to come, just waiting for glue to setup.

2004121251453_DSCN6863.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

I like solid surface material fininshing is a no brainer.
Wait till you see the design possibilities when you lose the supplied center band and make your own.

bajacrazy

Eagle,
That's what I'm talking about, that’s a great idea. I never thought of that before. Turning a center band has some awesome possibilities. It doesn’t take much to get me excited. Had something already planed for today, but after I’m done typing here I’m going to the shop and work on some center bands. Thank you! Thank you![:D][:D]

If anybody has any other idea's please share, I love Challenges. The top pen design is perfect, but the bottom pen’s design was not aligned correctly, must have moved after glue up and when inserting brass tube the ca set up before I could get it positioned evenly spaced with design. So the bottom is smaller than top. I guess with all the problems I had with this pen it didn’t turn out too bad.

Brian

Fred in NC

Brian... making me think. I like the effect, and will try it in contrasting woods. However, I think I will get a plug cutter so I can make plugs with the drill press. This way the grain will be oriented the same way as the rest of the barrel. Plug cutters are supposed to make very accurately sized plugs to match the drill of the same size. I said 'supposed' hehe! Not too sure about that!

G

You don't have to turn the center band separately.
omit the 2 bushings in the center for slimlines and turn the whole pen at once.
Since tube length isn't ctirical on slimlines use a Eurostyle type of design.
The lower tube is about 2&3/8ths long top I believe is 2"
Part off the top( using the center bushings.add the "illusion" of a center band if you wish.
You can carefully "mill" the center band addition for a good glue-up using CA.
Hit with accelerant and start turning.
I like to put a tube in the center band for reinforcement.

Mike_O

Baja, I like them a lot. Very nice job! I really like the top one, but that is my personal taste. I can hardly wait to see the other designs. Post them when you get them done. I really like working with solid surface. Great to turn and even better to finish!

bajacrazy

Thanks everybody for the great idea’s and comments.

Mike, my personal favorite is the top one as well. I’m going to glue more up today.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom