See more from dalemcginnis

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Started to turn a cigar pen from some leftover Orange Osage and did this:

tn_PICT0035.jpg

:(
Not one to give up easily and too cheap to toss a blank, rummaged through my pile and found a leftover acrylic that the other half had blown out while drilling for a slimline. Redrilled for a cigar and finished with this:

tn_OO%20acrylic.jpg

tn_OO%20acrylic%202.jpg

[^]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I've never seen a mandrel that looked like that. BTW, you should get a 60 degree live center. It will work much better than the one you're using.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by Tuba707
<br />Yeah, what exactly did you do to make the mandrel corkscrew like that? lol
Actually despite appearances there is only one bend in the mandrel, at the MT. Just removed the nut and the blanks slid right off.
As for what I did, easy. At least it seemed easy at the time, I've been trying to avoid repeating the process. [:D] Basically you take the name gouge literally. [:D] First you chip off a large chunk off the blank down to the tube, then deciding to strip off the rest of the blank as quickly as possible, you jam the gouge into the chipped edge. Presto, you now have a mandrel with a 45 degree bend in it[:D]
I was having a bad day, that was the third blank I had blow out on me. Good reminder that the lathe is NOT the place to take out your frustrations[:)]

The 60 degree live center is on my wish list, along with a good grinder, a PH vise, a Barracuda chuck, better tools, etc, etc, etc. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom