Need your feedback, please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ted iin Michigan

I was at my local wworking dealer (Johnsons Workbench, Charlotte, MI)couple weeks ago. One of my fav store emps knows I do pens. He does, too and shows me this pen he made for his dad. Blew me away. It was wood (yellow, green and red) and segmented to look like the ribbon Vietnam vets earned. Real nice.

So I thought I'd steal his idea - a bit - and do a couple in acrylic.

Pics follow. One is a chrome Manhattan, one is a chrome Guardian Jr and one is a gunmetal Spartan. I'm looking for your thoughts, preferences, etc.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Nanhattan chrome vietnam.jpg
    Nanhattan chrome vietnam.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 563
  • Guardian Jr chrome vietnam.jpg
    Guardian Jr chrome vietnam.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 562
  • Spartan gun metal vietnam.jpg
    Spartan gun metal vietnam.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 553
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Thinking the one colored to mimic the "Purple Heart" might be a better seller...
The color of this one seems to be really close(read as I am not old enough to have been in Vietnam, but I have seen the ribbons).

Scott (lines are really straight too) B

Dick Mahany

If it were me, out of consideration to the person who developed the original concept, I'd ask their opinion first. If they like it and weren't into production turning, I simply acknowledge the fact with every reproduction, even if it was an improvement. Like the pen very much, and also like credit where credit is due :)

Woodkiller

If it were me, out of consideration to the person who developed the original concept, I'd ask their opinion first. If they like it and weren't into production turning, I simply acknowledge the fact with every reproduction, even if it was an improvement. Like the pen very much, and also like credit where credit is due :)

I like this also and have made a few myself, but have not shown them yet till I get a few more done. I have also made some for the Iraq and Afghanistan ribbons. I have no problem giving credit where it is due, and would gladly do so if I knew who it belongs to. Any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.

Scott - been toying with doing the Purple Heart (and others). The thing about the Purple Heart ribbon is that it's so damn simple. Just a purple band flanked by a strip of white on the l & r edges. Has nothing to do with it's significance just whether or not it would be "recognizable". I figure folk who "know" would "get it" on the Vietnam ribbon.

Have been also trying to come up with an Iraq and/or Afghan ribbon. Want to see if there's interest in these first. Plus I need some acrylics I can't find (tan for one). Maybe my excuse to start casting.

Dan - I'm thinking the Sierra/Gatsby wouldn't be the best choice because the tube is short. The red bands on these were an issue. Thinner would be ugly. And the Liberty would be nice but the kits are pricey. I want to make it affordable. Plus I can see these going away at material cost - or less. I kind of have a soft spot where vets are concerned. So I'm thinking the Manhattan may be the choice.

Thanks for your input. You always seem to have thoughtful input.

Top Bottom