Need wood Identified

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

A coworker asked for a pen in a dark colored wood. I had this piece of hardwood flooring I found in a trash pile. As it turned it had yellowish flakes coming off. It is the piece that the pen is laying on. Thanks for looking and for trying to help.

Phil

Checkbookpen002.jpg

Checkbookpen003.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MorganGrafixx

Ipe is it! I have a piece of this stuff from a flooring and decking job my father-in-law did. It has the yellowish powdery stuff all over it.

Ipe is pronounced Ee-Pay. Otherwise know as Brazilian Walnut. I'd bet the farm on it.

firewhatfire

It was hard like walnut. It is a clear wood without knots and the first 2 blanks I cut out of it busted as I tried to square them up. It finished up nice and I will turn a few more of them if they hold up. I gues I will go back to that burn pile and look for a few more scraps of it.

Thanks for the help

Phil

Fred

If you have another unworked piece of this wood, show a picture of the end grain. This will assist in saying just what it is. Ipe is definitely different in it's end grain from Cocobolo, Walnut, etc. Get a nice clear shot and post for us.

firewhatfire

I showed it locally and they have agreed with all of the Ipe folks. I guess I need to go look for a few more scrap pieces of it as I only have enough for 3-6 pens depending on my China Shop Bull Syndrome that appears from time to time.

Phil

Russianwolf

drop a piece in water, if it sinks its likely Ipe.

Ipe is one of the woods called Ironwood for this property. Calling it Brazilian Walnut must be more recent as I've always heard that name in relation to Imbuyia which looks much more like Walnut.

Top Bottom