Need Some Honest Critique

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wpenm

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpenm

This is my version of a comfort grip pen. The nib, center band and final are all made from hard rock maple. The comfort grip is laminated leather. The barrels are Afzaila Burl.

200519233759_Leather%20exp.%20Pen%20004.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Gary,looks fine to me. I have to make some of the same kind for a customer, only he wants rubber, and something nice. Maybe leather is the way to go. Anthony

G

Too much all at once,but heyI make pens out of string and blue jeans.
Craftsmanship looks good.Hard to tell from the picture.
You said honest.

daledut

I think it is a great looking pen and great craftmanship. The only thing I would tweak is the finial. To my eye it stands out a bit too much, but I certainly would be willing to put it in my pocket. I love it when people think outside the kit.[8D]

Tom McMillan

Looks nice to me! I would agree with Dale about the finial---but, I too applaud your creativity!!! Seems like the leather would be fairly comfortable for the "grip" area.

woodpens

Garry,
The crafsmanship is excellent. I would trim the finial to make it a little more sleek, but this pen shows real promise. The wood nib really makes the pen. The leather grip is nice too. Good job!

melogic

Gary,
I think this pen should be sent to me so I could better examine it.
Just kidding. The craftsmanship is awesome! I really like the leather idea. Keep up the wonderful work.

wpenm

Thanks to all who have responded. I have that hammer from Estwing with the leather handle. I bought it in the early 70's and just retired it a couple of years ago. The handle just looks better with age. They made a leather handled hatchet as well.

I'll try some different things with the finial. It was a fun pen to make.

Tom McMillan

Garry---Could you provide a little more info on how you did the laminated leather----did you punch it for the tube or drill it?? Then turn it?? Any finish or not??

wpenm

Tom,
The leather was an old belt. I sanded the color off and used my radial saw to saw it into 3/4" square pieces. I used carpenters glue (waterproof type) and brused it on both sides of each square, put it together and clamped it. When the glue was dry I glued it to the pen blank. I guess you could glue it all up at once but it tends to slip around. Once the leather was glued to the pen blank I put it in my blank drilling jig with the leather end up. Drilled the hloe for the 7mm brass tube and glued the tube in with Gorilla Glue.I turned it on the lathe.( Used a very sharp skew) Went through the usual sanding using 150 through 400 grit, them Micro Mesh. The leather was still a little fuzzy so I shaved it[:D] using a single edge razor blade to scrape it. I sprayed every thing with satin lacquer, let it dry then applied TSW.

I'm not very good at explaining things but I hope that helps.

Tom McMillan

Thanks Garry---That gives me a pretty good description about how you did it. I know some others have used a punch for the hole in leather ---wasn't sure if it would drill ok or not---sounds like it did. Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom