Need help with an unknown wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bowl Slinger

Bowl Slinger

A friend of mine gave me a 7'X6" board that he found under the collapsed foundation of an 1800's trading post in Kent Wa.
The wood is very heavy and dense. When I was cross cutting it my 3hp radial arm saw bogged down. It puts off an abnormal amount of light brown fine dust when its cut and it burns my nose. It has a fruit smell to it when worked. (it smells just like tulip wood) The wood is 2 tone and very curly. It looks a lot like Koa but it is too dense and doesn't smell like koa. It is oily and clogs sand paper easily. When its being turned it chips off rather than shaves off.
Any help with this is greatly appreciated. :smile-big:.

Attachments

• Unknown wood.jpg
    Unknown wood.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 254
  • Unknown wood 2.jpg
    Unknown wood 2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Unknown wood 4.jpg
    Unknown wood 4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Unknown wood 5.jpg
    Unknown wood 5.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 221
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bowl Slinger

Looks like Walnut Burl to me
Its definitely not walnut. Walnut is my favorite wood and I have 3 different specie in stock so I know it well.

gimpy "I thinking Indian Rosewood or Ironwood" I have not worked with Indian Rosewood or Ironwood but do either of them have a sweet fruit smell?

Dustygoose "7' X 6' that's a big piece of wood. I would love a blank if u decide to sell"
I will keep that in mind :wink:

allisnut

possibly honey locust or locust? I had some pieces that bounced across the jointer instead of cutting, and were very hard to drill. Sweet smell when cut or turned...

kroekern

Your comment about the dust made me immediately think of myrtle, which does have quite an interesting smell to it (I personally love it), but I would never think to call it fruity. Hmm.
There are darker varieties of myrtle, and perhaps it could've darkened with age as well. The figuring seems a bit odd for it though.

It's my only closest guess, and I don't think walnut burl is that dark or dense.

Could it be related to cocobolo?

ldubia

It looks like a fine specimen of wastree. :biggrin: It's quite common and comes in several varieties.

Seriously though, some myrtle can be quite curly. A friend of mine just came back with several good sized pieces that had some very curly figure. as for the darkness, I think that may have been the age factor. As someone suggested, a small piece sent to someone who knows wood may help in the ID. Good luck in finding out.

Chrisjan

I have been following this thread, very curious to see the success of identifying the wood... I think a probable impossible task, still curiosity will drive us to try. Can it perhaps be the African Tamboti? I work with Tamboti sometimes and the photos look very familiar, so too the descriptions.

Tabascocat

I would second Myrtle, I have apiece of Black myrtle that is incredibly dense. Though mine is darker than the piece you are showing.

I would presume it would have to be indiginous to the area and Myrtle ceratinly is.

Top Bottom