Need Help/Suggestions for a segmented Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Talfalfa33

Talfalfa33

Calling all veteran turners, or any good suggestions. I finally had a chance to try my hand at a scalloped pen blank. Got it all cut and glued with spalted maple with copper accents. I roughed up the copper but CA just doesn't like copper as well as aluminum. Flew apart in mid rounding to see it it was even worthy of being a pen. Got it pieced back together and found I lost one copper piece. But had enough to do a bolt action tec pen, got it coated and finished and ( stupid me ) didn't measure before assembly. I didn't go small enough and ruined the hardware disassembling. So what I asking for is what kit would work for this blank so I don't have to go back to the lathe and go smaller. Size is 0.475 in diameter and 2.5 in. long.

Attachments

• IMG_0520.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 173
That is a tough question. You will need to research what hardware takes that tube and go from there. It is heart breaking when this happens so don't get discouraged. I can tell you that you need sharp tools for a blank like this so you don't stress it while turning. Then it is slow going and many trips to the grinder to keep the tools sharp. I am not sure what you are using but I would be using my skew on this and going very slowly. Usually if you can hold them together drilling you can turn them? Good luck.

Top Bottom