Need help for better pics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from altaciii

altaciii

I've been waiting to use my new photo box with my old sony camera. I've learned quite a bit by reading the good advise given to others on this wonderful site. Need advise and critique on pose, pic, and pen. Hit me hard, please.

2008329112943_snakewood%20click.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

Ok... my 2 cents...

1) You need to set the white balance... use a sheet of paper to set it, then take the shot

2) You need to diffuse the light on the right side.

Nice pen!

altaciii

thank you marc, I'll try that it also seems that the pics I'm taking have a reddish or orange hue in them
I see lots of pics on the site that look like your looking at the pens live not on film

Dan_F

I's say you are about 90% of the way there. Here are a few things that might help:

I'll second the suggestion about the white balance, that should get rid of the warm ("reddish orange") hue.

The highlight on the clicker is really strong, you might be able to play around with the placement of the light or pen to reduce the glare on the metal and still show a nice shine on the barrel. Achieving that balance is one of the main challenges.

Also try to only show one highlight on the pen, whereas you have two. One I set one light pointed toward the top of the tent, and one directly on the pen. The first provides the ambient light, the second the highlight. Sierras are kind of tricky to photograph because of the contrast with all of the black and the metal bits, and a lot of highly reflective surfaces that are subject to burnout.

The last thing I do before resizing for the web is to adjust the contrast and lighting in photoshop, then sharpen 2 clicks. I exaggerate the contrast just enough to compensate for the loss of same in the resizing process. Sharpening helps in the same way. Play around with these steps until your resized pic is as sharp as the original.

The only other thing I see is that the clicker end is a little out of focus. You can fix that by using a smaller aperture (f-8 or above), or displaying the pen at less of an angle in relation to the lens.

The pen looks great!

Dan

constamj

I try to get the top of the clip rather than the side. The clips tend to look cheap from the underside. It also looks like the depth of field is a little short. Try making the F stop higher.

Top Bottom