Nebraska Cornhusker pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OldWrangler

OldWrangler

Here is a pen for an ex cornhusker football player. He wanted something connected with the U of N. Here's a corn cob with red & white trim. Ships out tomorrow. Hope he will like it.

Attachments

• neb corn.1jpg.jpg
    neb corn.1jpg.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 337
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlofton

Segmented corn cob? Who'da thought it? Great looking pen. If he doesn't like it, this UT (Texas) fan will buy it!

OldWrangler

This was the second one I did. Regular corncobs are easy to shatter on the lathe so I figured the segmented ones would be worse. After the first one exploded I set up another and got the chisels razor sharp. Taking extra light cuts and keeping the tools sharp did the trick. Once the pens were down close to the bushings, the pen got a good drizzle of thin CA. Careful cuts and a sharp skew took it to sanding. Finish is CA/BLO, sanding to 12,000MM, Ren. wax and a quick polish on the wheel. Thanks for your comments.

Skye

I hope you at least used a stabilized cob. That would be easier.

And by easier, I mean the difference between walking on 5 foot of broken glass as opposed to 8 foot of broken glass.

OldWrangler

Dion, I've got plenty of TAM pens in my inventory but Aggies are hard to pry $50 out of. I also make UT, LSU and made one Baylor pen once. My son has a store in College Sta and carries my pens. All he sells are the casing/antler pens...none of the Aggie ones.

If you are in Conroe and I am in the Woodlands, we should get together and compare notes or swap secrets sometime. Let me know.

Skye, it was a stabilized cob but I shatter plenty of them too. Just need sharp tools and take plenty of time.

Splinter

Nice pen. That is the first segmented Corn Cob pen I have seen. I have made a few but had not thought about doing a segmented one. You are right corn cobs pens are easy to destroy. The last one I did I cast it in Alumilite and that helped. I think the next one I try I will drill a hole in the soft core first to get the Alumilite to penetrate that area better.

Good job.

huskerturner

Here is a pen for an ex cornhusker football player. He wanted something connected with the U of N. Here's a corn cob with red & white trim. Ships out tomorrow. Hope he will like it.

Hey OldWrangler,
If you do anymore let me know and I can ship you any amount of cobs right from the source here in Nebraska. you can reach me at gthimgan@neb.rr.com.
Have a good one.

Greg

OldWrangler

Hi Greg,

Yesterday I bought a bag of squirrel food (dry cobs with the corn still on) and am husking the corn off to get just the cobs. I turned this one yesterday without stabilizing the cob, just being careful. Finish is a couple coats of wood stain and then CA/BLO. Grooves are done with a piece of hot wire. Pens like this sell real good. Thanks for the offer of cobs but I got plenty now.

Attachments

• dk.cob.jpg
    dk.cob.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 100

OldWrangler

Here's today's segmented cob....a Celtic Knot and the cob was not stabilized, only a tube glued inside. I think I'm getting the hang of this.....

Attachments

• cob & knot 2.jpg
    cob & knot 2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 93

woody350ep

Is that some blowout at the nib, or are my eyes lying to me? Either way, I've never done a corncob pen. I've never done a segmented pen either. In conclusion, I've never done a segmented corncob pen, so it is much better than what I have done for sure. Pretty cool.....

Skye

Looks like blowout, which is odd considering the segmentation work is the hard part!

Crazy cobs man. I've seen tons of these pens but I haven't seen any with this much segmentation yet. You may have found your niche.

OldWrangler

No blowout, just a bad reflection from the nib. Pen made it through OK. So this is my niche. I wait 70 years and my life's niche is turning corn cobs.....bummer!!!!

Top Bottom