A neat material, and one that I told myself that I would never turn again...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bgray

bgray

First is just a cool brown/beige flecked material.

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

Next is a pen from Shaeffer Serpentine.

Seriously, I made a pen from this stuff about a year ago. Back then, I told myself that I would never touch it again.

If you breath on this stuff wrong, it will melt. Even with a flood coolant, this took about triple my normal time...

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN0007.jpg

However, it really makes a seriously nice pen.

Now I REALLY mean it....never again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Both pens are gorgeous Brian, and are up to you normal very high standards that we all know of and respect. The second pen was well worth the extra time involved with the difficult to turn material, keep up the good work!

bgray

Actually, I think that I made a mistake. That's not serpentine. I'm pretty sure that it's Jungle Moss.

Thanks for the comments.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice Brian. When I see a post with your name I always look at it because I know I will see a work of art. I've never been disappointed. Thanks for sharing.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I love to see what the advanced folks do, and this is some awesome stuff. I like you, have dealt with the Cebolplast in the past, and the results were the same as your first attempt. I swear the stuff is made out of left over low temp glue sticks...LOL.....

You have given me the courage to try again...LOL...

Do you use the taps and dies that the group buy uses? I would love to see your threading technique.

Jim Smith

Brian,

Very nice looking pens indeed. You are correct in renaming the color of the second pen, it is not Serpentine. I've made a number of Serpentine blanks and other than the initial drilling, I haven't experienced any real problems with the low melting point. That being said, I turn it down to very close to final size before I start sanding and then I use Abranet that I dip in water every 30 seconds or so. They sure do make pretty pens.

Jim Smith

bgray

Thanks everyone.

I don't use any taps and dies.

Everything is single-pointed on the metal lathe.

Fester

Those pens are beautiful!!! I see I have a Looooong way to go if I hope to make pens of even half that quality. :star:

GouletPens

from one Brian to another, great looking pen. Looks pretty friggin' cool, and whoever gets it will be thrilled to know they're getting the last one you'll ever make!

Top Bottom