Nearly Custom - First Try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandsini

Sandsini

It's taken me a bit to screw up my courage to post this pen. This is the first pen on my path to make a full custom pen. It isn't really a custom though because it's based on a kit, the DNS Master.

Just getting to this point necessitated the purchase of new tools for my meager turning setup, which is a good thing. I'm enjoying working with my new 4 jaw chuck and collet chucks...

So I sat down with the kit and selected Mono Swirl Avocado resin and Black Ebonite as my materials and proceeded to make a pen without bushings and, really not even a good plan. The minimal instructions I had from the kit were in German and translating them to English required me to type them into Google Translate as I couldn't cut and paste them, so I mostly ignored them.

So with calipers and my eye I managed to shape the pen you see here. I made the nib section out of Ebonite and made the body of the pen a little longer so it feels good in my hand.

I did screw up on the clip assembly and, since I had spent all day getting there, decided to make my first clipless pen. I've since rethought this a bit though and have a sterling silver octopus coming to attach as a roll stop.

So, anyway, here it is for your approval, or dismissal. Comments and criticisms are welcome, but keep in mind that at the time I finished the pen, I wasn't sure I was going to keep it or throw it away. So, my final finishing isn't up to my personal standard. The Ebonite isn't finished well and there are sanding marks in the resin. I also think I need to step or bevel the part where the cap meets the body to eliminate the gap I have and align the parts better.

I filled it with ink and began using it right away and, I have to admit, I really like it. I might have to refinish it a bit when that octopus comes in!

Attachments

• DSC00694.jpg
    DSC00694.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC00693.jpg
    DSC00693.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC00690.jpg
    DSC00690.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC00689.jpg
    DSC00689.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC00685.jpg
    DSC00685.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Great looking pen for your first custom, Eric !!! Congratulations !!

I hope my first custom comes out that well (somewhere in the future :biggrin: )

BTW, I am interested in the handle of the magnifying glass ... what's it made of?

magpens

Eric, do you know if the DNS kits are stocked by any US supplier of pen kits/supplies ?

Top Bottom