"NC State" Custom Acrylic and Amboyna Sapwood Burl Rollerballs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

Cut up one of the Alumilite blocks I cast the other night and had been itching to make a pen with one of the blanks! Really happy with the way it turned out as it is a custom acrylic that I cast successfully and it is in my favorite colors: Wolfpack Red, white, and black (GO PACK)! Mated the blank with a black and chrome Classic Rollerball kit. This was the first time I had used this kit and I really like the sleek lines of it and IMO how well it goes with the acrylic. I did put about 8 coats of thin CA over it to help gloss it up a bit since Alumilite usually has a lower sheen to it.

The second pen I made last night was a piece of Amboyna Sapwood Burl I picked up from Ernie and Robin over at Bear Tooth Woods. I also used their New Series Pen kit as well. This was a bit different as you actually part off about 1/4" of the cap blank to make way for a flush mount end cap ring. It was almost like a Euro Style twist tenon except you take the "tenon" all the way down to the brass and press on the end cap ring. 1 coat of BLO followed by 10 coats of thin CA and polished to a high gloss.

C&C's welcome!

Attachments

• NC State Classic Rollerball.jpg
    NC State Classic Rollerball.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 270
  • Amboyna Burl Rollerball.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Rollerball.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithncsu

I might be a little biased but I love the wolfpack pen! GO PACK!! Class of '08! I really like the upper portion of that one. Looks like a box elder burl. I'm getting ready to buy some of that just because it has that wolfpack look haha!

lhowell

I might be a little biased but I love the wolfpack pen! GO PACK!! Class of '08! I really like the upper portion of that one. Looks like a box elder burl. I'm getting ready to buy some of that just because it has that wolfpack look haha!

Thanks! Lifelong Wolfpack fan but I went to UNC-Charlotte originally for architecture but switched to Mechanical Engineering halfway through and never bothered to transfer to NC State. I hate that I can't say that I am a Wolfpack Alumni but hey, there is always graduate school!

I have some more of that acrylic blank if you are interested. I made a 6x6x1/2-5/8 thick block.

lhowell

Keith- below are pictures of the block of you are interested let me know. That Classic Rollerball was about as thick of a pen as this block will handle. Was still getting the hang of pouring and mixing when I made this one.

Attachments

• IMG_4004.jpg
    IMG_4004.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4005.jpg
    IMG_4005.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 139
Top Bottom