Navy Aircraft Carriers Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fireengines

Fireengines

Hello Everyone..

Here is an American Patriot Twist Pen made from wood off two US Navy aircraft carriers.

The top is Douglas-fir from the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Oriskany (CV/CVA 34). The bottom is Redwood from the world's first super aircraft carrier USS Forrestal (CV/ CVA 59).

The Oriskany (1950 – 1976) spent all of her deployments serving the US Navy's 7th Fleet. She earned two battle stars for service in the Korean War, and five for service in the Vietnam War.

On the morning of 26 October 1966 a major fire broke out aboard on the Oriskany . The fire broke out after a lit flare was locked in a flare locker. The fire killed 44 people, mostly air crew, and injured 156 more.

The Forrestal (1955-1993) spend her time serving the Navy's 6th and 7th fleets. She spent most of her time deployed to the Mediterranean, with other cruises in the Atlantic and Caribbean.

In June 1967, she went to the Pacific to aid with the Vietnam War effort. This cruise was cut short by a devastating fire on 29 July of that year. Despite the heroic efforts of the crew, 130 men lost their lives.

The wood came from a private source and I have no wood for sale.

Attachments

• two-ships 1.jpg
    two-ships 1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 230
  • two-ships 2.jpg
    two-ships 2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikelsdo

They look great, but your bug calling around gets me every time. Lol! The weather is getting warm here in the south and I thought I had a bug crawling around on my screen.

Top Bottom