Native Texas Pecan Capri Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sataro

Sataro

A couple of months back, one of our members "edohmann" had some pecan wood he was wanting to trade. I made a trade with him & he sent me a very nice pecan board. This pecan wood came from one of his 200 year old native pecan trees that had to be harvested. He had the boards milled & then let them air dry for 10 years.

I cut some of the blanks straight & then cross cut a few. I finally got a chance to turn one of his pecan blanks. Excellent wood...The pen kit is a Capri mini Fountain Pen. 10 coats of medium CA & finished off with Huts Ultra Polish.

Attachments

• fp5800.jpg
    fp5800.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 400
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

Nice "honey" blank Billy. Good job on the pen. I felled a few of my Pecans and have been making things from them. Honey colored ones.

Ray

Sataro

It is gorgeous! The wood looks great! Well done .

Thanks for the comments!

Nice "honey" blank Billy. Good job on the pen. I felled a few of my Pecans and have been making things from them. Honey colored ones.

Ray

Thanks for the comments Ray!
Nice piece of woodwork there!

Thanks for the comments!

That's a beauty Bob. Well done!.......Jan

Thanks for the comments Jan!

Great looking pen. I love the smell of pecan when turning

Thanks for the comments!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Awesome pen, Billy! Glad to see that some of my wood got put to such good use.

A few weeks ago, a HUGE limb fell from our oldest & largest pecan tree. This one is between 300-500 years old. The limb was about 50' up and almost 3' in diameter where it broke off. I cut up a half dozen chunks 2-3' long, sealed the ends, and stacked them in my tractor shed and still have about that much laying on the ground. It took most of the day just to cut up & haul off all the small stuff.

Besides some awesome grain and colors in some of this wood, there is also some interesting charred wood from the numerous times this tree has been struck by lightning.

Here's some photos. I'll start cutting up some of this wood & let ya'll know what I have available when the weather gets a bit cooler. There's a lot more here than I'll ever be able to use.

Ed

Attachments

• TreeLimbs1.jpg
    TreeLimbs1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 278
  • TreeLimbs2.jpg
    TreeLimbs2.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 209
  • TreeLimbs3.jpg
    TreeLimbs3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 210
  • TreeLimbs4.jpg