name this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dntrost

dntrost

This is made from a piece of "grey" wood I brought back from West Africa (Angola) they make a lot of carvings from this wood. I asked the local vendor to get me some chunks which he did. I can't find the real name but they just call it "Grey Wood" Anyone know the real name, my Portuguese is not that good but I think it might come from Congo and not Angola...

Attachments

• DSC00380.jpg
    DSC00380.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 401
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rarest wood

is it possible to send me a small piece not even a pen size blank or a photo of some unturned? ime betting its a combretum species is it very dense ? ring prorous or diffuse do we get the pen if we guess right:biggrin:

Last edited:

Fred

197 folks have no clue and one of the remaining three gets a free blank. Goes to show ya that if you don't ask then often times you don't receive.

I have no idea myself, but it does look interesting ...

Rarest wood

What the Frake?

after initiall puzzelment of my puzzler I worked it out!!!!!!! well worth the pen blank.
Its is definately a species in the genus called Terminalia ie Black Limba: (Terminalia superba) Cream colored with dark brown to black The heartwood is yellowish gray to brown to light brown. often with black streaks what gave me the clue was the small amount of bark on the edge as it has many names one of them being Black bark. Some other names are afara, limba known in the United States by its commercial name korina, often spelt corina other local names depending where in west africa you find it are light afara, light limba, limba clair, limba blanc (or plain, light wood), dark limba, dark afara, limba noir, limba bariole (for the figured heartwood), offram, ofram, frake:eek: akom and grey wood. this timber has been cut for decorative veneers but is often used for ply core. cheap furniture. Widely distributed from Sierra Leone to Angola and Zaire; occurs in rain and savanna
forests. A favored plantation species in West Africa.it has an SG of around 45 and that was the other clue. o as well I got the right family as it is in the Family: Combretaceae way to go!

you can see a photograph of the timber here which matches nicely http://www.rarewoodsandveneers.com/images/productimages/rarewood/Terminalia%20superba,%20Limba,%20Africa.jpg

if any one else needs a timber I.D'd just send me A pen blank in it but PM me first with as much info about it as you can.

Last edited:

Rarest wood

although poplars and obeche sg are much less (32) than grey woods, and at 45 a third heavier I will no doubt see when I turn it remember theres a differense betwixt heartwood and let us say non heartwood in this species of Terminalia superba. it nice to have the oppertunity to try it out. have used poplar and obeche but they wood not (pun intended):biggrin: be my first choice for pens. all the best

philb

although poplars and obeche sg are much less (32) than grey woods, and at 45 a third heavier I will no doubt see when I turn it remember theres a differense betwixt heartwood and let us say non heartwood in this species of Terminalia superba. it nice to have the oppertunity to try it out. have used poplar and obeche but they wood not (pun intended):biggrin: be my first choice for pens. all the best

Oh yeh it is harder than obeche and poplar, just that it has a similar texture and fluffiness! Whenever I see black limba or work it, always looks like its going t be fair dense and heavy, similar to zebrano. But then you pick it up and its remarkably light!

Top Bottom