Nail polish dipping (marbling)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ingo Schwartz

Ingo Schwartz

Hey guys so I uploaded this video to youtube last friday and I thought I should share this with you guys.

I saw this on youtube when watching guitar swirling videos, apparently nail polish is supposed to spread out and using a few colors should give a cool pattern to dip nails into. Why not dip the pens ?

I try'ed this out and the outcome was OK at best but a fun project to do anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGJr3cNlWBM

Next friday I'm uploading another dipping video but this time using special marbling ink, I literally just finished the dipping process and will CA it tomorrow, interesting outcome to say the least, I did not get a pattern but more of an interesting mix of the colors, when I raised the pen out of the bucket full of water it was DARK blue but I left it for about 2 minutes and wiped of the excess ink and it came out looking like this. Just some fun things I like to do because I can't get any proper turning wood so I use what I can get my hands on and I find the need to make the wood more interesting by painting it in various ways :)

12688089_665544543588485_4255134601914111713_n.jpg

Next time I'm using only the Yellow, Orange and Red to see if that makes a better finish for the pens :)

Thanks for reading hope you enjoyed the video :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

I watched the video. I like the result you got on that pen!

I have seen marbleizing before but it was in a shallow pan and the turning/ object was rolled across the paint instead of being dipped.
Nice job!

Charlie_W

Are you using alum to treat the wood prior to dipping the pen?
Also, I have seen others using carrageenan with the water before adding the color.

Ingo Schwartz

What is alum & carrageenan ?

I'm using what we call "teachers gum" it's an adhesive used to stick posters onto walls.

Top Bottom