Mystery Wood Gold and Gun Metal Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

Not sure what this type of wood is, have several more blanks of this though, and plan to use each and every inch. Looks like a old map to me. It is full of colors. MM to 12000 and friction polish. I have been experiencing some friction polish issues lately, and this is one from a few weeks ago that i decided to try to sand down and polish up with some plastic polish. Looks way better than it did a few weeks ago! This is one of a few pens from today, and 1 of 2 for my fathers doctors. Looks like a reflection in the finish, so sorry about that, still working on the photo set up! Also would love input of the type of wood if anyone has any guesses.

Attachments

• _MG_7372.jpg
    _MG_7372.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 289
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

wow photo looks super darker than it did in IPhoto, sorry already out there for the world, best I can do for the time being...

jmbaker79

No clue on the wood. Nice pen. I don't think the pic. looks that dark.

Thanks just looks a little dull compared to the colors in the pen...Im sure I could nit pick many things in the photo yet shot these on the way out the door to dinner...

juteck

The wood almost looks like ambrosia maple. Nice wood to turn -- looks great on bigger things too, like bowls, ornaments, etc. I'm sure you'll enjoy using all of your stash as you learn new finishing techniques in addition to the friction polish. Keep up the great work!

SDB777

Awesome timber! If we're all guessing as to the species....well, I'm gonna go with Pecan, spalted with some water stained fungus. Looks like a little jigsaw puzzle...neat!

Well turned too!

Scott

Top Bottom