Mystery Wood Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mrs

IPD_Mrs

For those who think they know their wood (boy that didn't sound right) see if you can figure out what this Statesman is. Picture names are MW for those who like to be sneaky. And there are two of you who cannot guess.

1_mw2.jpg

1_mw1.jpg

1_mw3.jpg

Mike & Linda

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

So far nobody has guessed it. We will tell all later tonight. As a hint a couple people have gotten semi-close. Now the question is which guesses? :devil:

Mike

gerryr

I think I might have the same wood downstairs. I'm pretty sure I got it from Nolan, but I have no idea what it is. I would bet on it being from Australia though. Good looking pen and a very nice job making it.

IPD_Mrs

Drum Roll Please............................................

This blank was sent to us from none other than Mr. Woody himself, Nolan "the burl man" Harris. It was labeled as extremely rare spalted brown mallee. I guess from where and the way these grow, the spalting is pretty rare. It also changes the characteristics of the wood. For example when you sand it the dust makes a paste that WILL NOT come out of the sand paper.:beat-up: The photo does not seem to show off the many colors in the wood which ranges from green to light brown. It will be on display in DC provided I can pry it out of Linda's death grip. :biggrin: This one ranks right up there with the DIW burl and might be my favorite if it were not for the sanding experience.

Thank you Nolan, as always it is a joy to turn your blanks and like Christmas every time a package arrives from Oakdale.

Thank you to all who commented and played our little mystery wood game. I like it when others do this as it lets me learn more about the thousands of species of wood out there.

Mike & Linda

Last edited:
Yeah that was pretty cool, I wish more would do the same there's lots to learn with all the wood species out there, beautiful blank and pen, great work!!:star:

Top Bottom