Mystery Wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Laurenr

Laurenr

OK Wood wonks. Identify this wood. I included one macro shot for the truly detail oriented. Hints will follow if necessary.

Attachments

• Sagebrush1.jpg
    Sagebrush1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Sagebrush2.jpg
    Sagebrush2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 125
  • rich's pen3.jpg
    rich's pen3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Sagebrush macro.jpg
    Sagebrush macro.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 166
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

phillywood

Lauren that's another one of your creations it's breath taking man. I am not there yet to tell the wood yet ,but the pen and the blank look beautiful. I hope I can have you help me to help the others withe info for the chart.

robutacion

You certainly have found a very good PR colour coordination and way to utilize all those bits of wood, that would be near impossible to use, otherwise. I have been admiring your recent marathon on making these type of pens and certainly that metallic blue, as I call it, does go well with all the woods you selected so far. A very good job on the finishes also...!:wink:

I have a question tough, on the first pic on this pen, there is a black line that runs with the grain which you aligned very neatly when you assembled the pen, my question is, is that black/dark brown line, a natural spalting line or a cracked filled...??? Old wood cracks while the tree is alive tend to repair themselves with a layer of dark sap, this appear to be the case as stress cracks or fresh cracks will not have this dark colouration. Could you please tell as what you believe/think/know that is...???

PS: Whatever it is, looks great...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Laurenr

Ha ha, I thought the captions were hidden. It is Sagebrush, ..just plain old sagebrush. I haven't seen any pens turned from sage, so I thought it would be fun to see if any of you wood wonks could identify it. And I was feeling pretty smug about hiding the captions.

It is a surprisingly easy turn, a little brittle, but predictably a typical high mountain desert type of wood; tough as nails, just like the people that settled this area.

PaulDoug

I've tried our local sage brush several times and had no success. If it is real dry I have to put CA on it to hold it together. The CA makes it an ugly color. It is also hard to get a piece big enough to get decent wood. Now you've made me have to try again. That is a beautiful pen.

Top Bottom