Mystery Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Verne

Verne

Hi, take a look! Whatizit? This is the first attemp with my NEW lathe, my NEW B2B, and maybe a new turner, my long time friend Ronnie. He's a retired machinist and scared to death of wood.
This wood is very punky and required a ton of CA. I sent some of this to rherrill and some to dtrost and someone won a slab at the greater houston get together a couple weeks ago. I haven't seen anyone else's stab at this yet so this must be a first. And on my Birthday to boot.
All comments welcome, please be gentle, I know it is a little proud but it is scary wood.
Vern
Never posted pictures on this new forum so please moderators, be gentle. I'm learning.

Attachments

• MW 1.jpg
    MW 1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 239
  • MW2.jpg
    MW2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 213
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Verne

Dion,
Sorry, missed your post. Nice job on the Jr. Definitley gunna need to get some more CA from Monty.
Cav, PM your address and I'll fix you right up! Don't want to be on the wrong side of the site violator protectors! Wood this be considered a bribe?
Oh, and for you thinking about a #1 Morse taper set up for B2B, it's already boxed up and has nice slab of this very wood. Better take a look in the classifieds.
Vern
Vern

Verne

Folks, I'll give you a hint. My son brought me this FOG from a camping trip up by Brennam, TX. I think. Somewhere over near Austin. Nothing special, he just saw it lying there and brought it home to dear ole Dad. Curtis, whatcha thimk?
Vern

Oh, and Happy Birthday to Alexl. Wow, 12 years old....if only.

Last edited:

Verne

Well, I guess the winner is Spalted Pecan. And yes it was a booger to turn. Hope Monty gets back from LA soon cuz I'm about out of CA. It took tons of CA. And, to answer the age old question of "how long does it take to make a pen like that?", this one took about 5 hours between turning and CA'in and drying etc.
Thanks for looking and everyone have a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year.
Vern
Oh, it was only one pen. I took pictures of the one pen all over the house and just posted the two.

Top Bottom