Myrtle El Grande Custom final

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

I finished this last night I really like the wood but am not sure about the final yet. Which is a shame casue it was kind of a pain to get it to work with this kit. I got the blank as a present from dubdrvrkev.

20051019151250_MyrtleElGrande.jpg

Let me know what you think. Comments, critiques and suggestions are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Mike, I really like the shape of the pen. It looks to have a slight taper which really works for it. I'm a little on the fence about the finial myself. Maybe a little too tall or not arched enough, none-the-less the pen looks great.

That Myrtle is fun to turn, cuts like butter and finishes great.

JimGo

I like the finial concept. I agree with Kevin that the finial is a TOUCH too tall - maybe if it were only the height at which it begins to curve, rather than it's current height. Other than that, this is a great looking pen!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Excellent! I like the finial quite a bit. It's a statement that makes this style your own. You might want to adjust the shape on the closed end to reflect the finial. It might give you the look yoi were after. If not, what the heck do I know? [:D]

vick

Thanks everyone.

I will have to play a little more on the next one. I may have to re think the way I attach the final and see if I can get it a little shorter. I am thinking about trying to mod the center band as a contrasting wood, and maybe matching the final in the same contrasting wood.

rtjw

I dont have a problem with the finial. It looks good to me. I dont necessarily like the centerband. Just looks to plain for a pen like this. Dont know what would fix it, it just looks to plain.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by rtjw
<br />I dont have a problem with the finial. It looks good to me. I dont necessarily like the centerband. Just looks to plain for a pen like this. Dont know what would fix it, it just looks to plain.

Use a Ligero centerband? Nice innovative work.

vick

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Recess the clip and make the finial more a part of the pen.
Grind the ring down so it will fit in the recess

Eagle that is actually what I was planning on doing the beauty of this is yoy do not have to grind the clip to recess it with this kit. I want to try it with the final in a different wood though.

Deere41h

Michael.... I like it. Could you post a picture of it closed. It's the center band that I am unsure about. I think it distracts from the beauty of the wood and the turning. You know I am partial to closed end pens and your finial gives that look to the cap as well. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom