Myfirst "watch" attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dexter0606

dexter0606

Thought I'd give this a try. I didn't make it too "busy". I didn't want to use up all my watch parts until I was sure that I could make it work. Tube painted gloss black. Medium CA to glue on parts. Cast in Castin' Clear resin. Kit is an Elegant Beauty.
I'll have to give it another try I think.

Attachments

• Pen 268 - 1.jpg
    Pen 268 - 1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 461
  • Pen 268 - 2.jpg
    Pen 268 - 2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 435
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very nice!!

Will using less parts mean that we have to pay the 'originator' less once we are sued??? :rolleyes:
:wink:

Greg (who has every intention to do one of these)

dexter0606

They really aren't that bad to make. Time consuming. I had more trouble getting the stems and pins off of some of the gears than anything else

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thought I'd give this a try. I didn't make it too "busy". I didn't want to use up all my watch parts until I was sure that I could make it work. Tube painted gloss black. Medium CA to glue on parts. Cast in Castin' Clear resin. Kit is an Elegant Beauty.
I've been watching you very closely, Jeff. You are close to becoming "King of the Casters"! I said close, remember!

jttheclockman

What was your procedure for the casting??? Did you have to cast it in stages??? How was the bubble situation???

dexter0606

You are close to becoming "King of the Casters"! I said close, remember!

There's a long, long way to go for that Mac. There's an awful lot of talented people out there that are a few steps ahead of me. But thanks for the compliment.
I haven't seen you around lately. I was wondering where you've been hiding

Gary Max

Heck---it won't be long and you will be seeing the blanks for sale right here on IAP---- in 6 months you will be able to buy them from just about any pen kit vendor,if China can find enough parts.

Rick_G

I'm going to have to try that my next door neighbour repairs watches and clocks as a hobby. He would love one. Good looking pen. Dark background provides great contrast.

bruce119

Nice Job I have been collecting vintage watches myself. I am doing my own style don't think I will post a Photo here though. I don't want to catch the flack. They will wind up on my table.

Very nice thanks for sharing.

dexter0606

Bruce,
I don't think there's any legitimate flack to be had anymore. Not since Jeff sorted things out.
Post away (or at least e-mail me a pic):)

Last edited:

Willee

I would have liked to see some of the gears mated to at least hint that their might be a "mechanism" in there somewhere that actually works.

But then ... looking like a watch that has just exploded has an appeal also.

Its is nice ... but more parts would be better.
I am sure your next creation will be ... well ... timeless!

bruce119

Bruce,
I don't think there's any legitimate flack to be had anymore. Not since Jeff sorted things out.
Post away (or at least e-mail me a pic):)

Yea I didn't see it till now. I just took a look at the home page. I only look from time to time (ha that's a good name)

And just noticed the featured photo

I guess it's fair game now :cool: I remember the thread and a bit of controversy.

It will be another 2 weeks before I get mine done.

dexter0606

My wife just got home from her trip and saw the pen. She likes the simple look. I do thnk I'll try one that's a little busier though.

robutacion

Heck---it won't be long and you will be seeing the blanks for sale right here on IAP---- in 6 months you will be able to buy them from just about any pen kit vendor,if China can find enough parts.

I can see your point Gary, but why would the Chinese or anyone else wanting to make these type watches, have to use real watch parts...!!! I have been thinking about this for some time and myself with out all the computer hight techs gear, I have programs that I could easily create a normal print in a piece of paper, glue it to the tube and cast it in clear resin. Done right it would be difficult to tell the difference, and if this wasn't enough, the same design pattern created in 3D printed in special clear paper, then glued to the painted tube would make it hard to differentiate from real clock pieces in it...!

I'm surprised why one of the many computer gurus here in IAP haven though of that and done some for as all to see, unless someone tough of it and has been very quite about it, hoping that no one would mention such option before the idea is copyrighted. The Chinese would give a damn if is or not and I reckon, if they are going to mass produce clock parts pens, this is how they will do it...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom