My Weekend's Work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pssmith

Status
Not open for further replies.

pssmith

Got to play a little in the shop this weekend under the direct supervision of my 2 1/2 year old daughter:

20041264210_3%20Xmas%20Ciger%20Pens.jpg

From left to right: violet box elder burl with gold cigar pen kit; maple burl and walnut, with satin/silver kits. I need to strengthen my technique in making my blank lines flow flush with the bushings and pen kits. PRACTICE PRACTICE...:D

The box elder and maple burl blanks were from Bill at AZ and made the experience really enjoyable.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Patrick...I had the same problem of flush fit until I bought a digital vernier caliper (about $15). Now I can zero in pretty darned close! Still, those look GREAT!

PenWorks

Nice pens Patrick, see what a little good supervision does. Daughters are GREAT! Mine use to help me reload bullets, keep me company when I paint,& just a whole lot more, but now she's 16, enjoy her now. Anthony

Efletche

I like that dyed box elder. Might have to look into ordering some. My big thing with Cigar pens is I keep getting a very small gap between the upper and lower halves. Nice job.

wayneis

Patrick, it looks like you getting pretty close and your finish job looks nice. I also like your choise in blanks, those will make most any kit look great. I have digital calipers that I use. I just stop every once in a while a check the diameter. I've found that you can't trust the bushings, they are only intended to be used as a guide to get you close. I've found bushings that have been both a little to large and some to small and very few that are right on.

Edward a couple things come to mind, one is that in some kits you need to work the halves on and off a few times to get them to seat properly. Then there are some kits that you have to extremely carefull when you square off the tubes ends because it is so easy to shorten the tubes. It sounds as though you may have ground off just a touch to much on the tops.

Wayne

woodwish

I really love the finish on the first two pens, looks like glass. I also have a hard time getting them the right diameter and think the bushing are just the wrong size. I think I may hint at getting a digital caliper for Christmas from my daughters. They are 17 & 19 now and rarely come out to the shop except to tell me they are coming or going with their boyfriends. Ocassionally the older will come clean, she is a neat freak and the sawdust bugs her. I feel that it is my obilgation to provide therapy and let her clean (nice of me, huh?). Enjoy her before she gets old enough for cars and boys, and remember how sneaky those dang boys are.

pssmith

Thanks to all for the taking the time for your generous comments and direction. Some digital calipers are in the works. The blanks that Bill sent have taken the joy of a finished pen to a new level for me. Rather than look for different types of kits to try out, I'm now a little more inclined to find that unique blank.

Thanks again![8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom