My weekend pens....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from punkinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkinn

Wish I'd had more lathe time, but I didn't.

Cocobolo Cigar (pre-sold) (Rob's wood)
S2IS_1508.jpg

Black Cherry burl Euro (won these blanks on eBay... just gorgeous wood)
S2IS_1518.jpg

A Redheart Slimline (Dario's wood!)
S2IS_1531.jpg

A Big Leaf Maple burl slimline from the scraps of this bowl the BF made:
S2IS_1542.jpg

A Cocobolo Deco-Euro (I like this clip) (Rob's wood, again)
S2IS_1512.jpg

and the rest...
S2IS_1538.jpg

L-R: Birds Eye Maple (2), Big Leaf Maple burl, Cocobolo Deco-Euro, Cocobolo Cigar, Black Cherry burl Euro and slimline, Redheart slimline (satin nickel) and Amboyna slimline with a Burmese Rosewood Euro at the bottom. Finish on all is MM to 12000, Hut Crystal Coat, Liberon stick.

Hope your collective weekends were enjoyable. :)
Nancy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Nancy,
I like 'em. Thanks for the mention. I haven't tried any cocobolo yet. I'm saving a cracked blank for my own fun. Wow, the most pens I've done in a weekend is 4.
Keep having fun. I also want to try some birdseye maple. I used to sell it, I haven't been able to find anymore with really heavy figure.
Rob

And you want more time? The black cherry burl & big leaf maple burl is mighty fine. All your pens are great. How about putting a better pic of the bowl in casual conversations.

punkinn

Many thanks everyone for the very kind words. [:)] You started my day off wonderfully!

PastorBill, my boyfriend turned the bowl, if I'd done it, I'd be really showing that off. LOL!

Nancy

Dario

I like them all but I especially like the Cherry burl Euro and the maple bowl :D.

I agree that you pictures are great! I need some lessons...or maybe atleast start working on that photo booth.

Inquiring minds want to know what lathe your BF has.

Good job!!!!

punkinn

Originally posted by Dario
<br />I like them all but I especially like the Cherry burl Euro and the maple bowl :D.

I agree that you pictures are great! I need some lessons...or maybe atleast start working on that photo booth.

Inquiring minds want to know what lathe your BF has.

Good job!!!!

Dario,

That cherry burl Euro came out as close to perfect as I've been able to manage yet. I was thrilled with it too. :) The BF (Larry) did a great job on the bowl, I think.

Lathe = Jet Mini (not the VS model).

Thank you! :)
Nancy

punkinn

Thank you thank you everybody! Wow, I really look forward to posting my pens here every week! You all have been so nice, welcoming me into the "fold" as it were. [;)]

Sincere thanks with much appreciation to you all.
Nancy

M

Mudder

What type of camera are you using?
How bout photo editing software?

Those cherry burl pens are nice! If you give something of that quality for the pen in the hat I would envy the guy or gal who receives it.

punkinn

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />What type of camera are you using?
How bout photo editing software?

Those cherry burl pens are nice! If you give something of that quality for the pen in the hat I would envy the guy or gal who receives it.

Camera is a Canon S2-IS:

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
B0009GZSSO.01._SCTHUMBZZZ_.jpg

Review and camera info : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

The S2-IS has a 12x optical zoom and IS (Image Stabilization) built-in; (SLRs use IS mainly in their lenses, not in the camera itself). I highly recommend this as a sub-SLR price range camera. The BF has a Canon 10D (a digital SLR), but I get *nearly* as good photos with my S2-IS, especially the still life stuff like pens. I also have a telephoto adapter that extends the OPTICAL zoom on this camera out to almost 650 mm. And the IS (Image Stabilization) is active with the tele extender, so the photos are incredible. Zillions of options and settings on this camera; it is a LOT for the money.

But back to pen stuff...

Image processing I do with Photoshop CS2. While I admit to being proficient with Photoshop and have more than 10 years experience working with it, I only use 5 tools for processing my pens pics. This is the regimen I follow 99.9% of the time for my pen photos (in this order, which is important):

1. Crop.
2. Adjust Levels.
3. Adjust Saturation.
4. USM (Unsharp mask)
5. Resample image down to manageable size.

That's all. Those adjustments are really all that's needed for me. I set the camera's White Balance to Tungsten and overexpose by at LEAST 1 full stop so what comes out of the camera is almost there as far as a finished image.

If I can get more of the black cherry burl, I will definitely consider using it for the Pen in the Hat swap. [:D]

Best regards,
Nancy

wildphoto

Nancy, Nice photo setup. I will make one and use yours to go by.
Also camera info was very helpful,as I have Photoshop CS2 I am not
that well versed. I have a book on Photoshop and that will help.
Thanks for the info.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom